Need Help Got A New Pc With A Down Grade To Windows 10 Want To Upgrade To Windows 7

Reaction score
Take something out of a laptop? Been there done that. Unthinkable now because of lack of manual dexterity trying to replace CMOS battery in N5050 which required repair by someone else.
This is reminiscent of why I gave up housekeeping-had to get help to replace smoke alarm battery.
The only solution now is if it's broke throw money at it.

Just got an email that a new Del 5558 with 7 Pro has shipped. This is a Chevy versus Ford personal preference. 7 Pro will be supported until 2020 so that works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Take something out of a laptop? Been there done that. Unthinkable now because of lack of manual dexterity trying to replace CMOS battery in N5050 which required repair by someone else.
This is reminiscent of why I gave up housekeeping-had to get help to replace smoke alarm battery.
The only solution now is if it's broke throw money at it.

Just got an email that a new Del 5558 with 7 Pro has shipped. This is a Chevy versus Ford personal preference. 7 Pro will be supported until 2020 so that works for me.
I think the world has run out of screws.
Everything is getting to the not working throw it away stage as to dismantle would require a hammer and chisel. :(
Mobile phones are the same most of them now you cant remove the battery without destroying the phone. o_O

Reaction score
The machine I did it to was a desktop.

As for the screws. I have a Lenovo Ideapad that once you have removed four screws then has to be levered apart all the way around to get at the insides. However the machine is probably a dollar cheaper as someone in Taiwan or Vietnam can just finish assembly that bit faster.

jpk

Reaction score
Here's the end of my big long story. Had a Dell N5050 which was 7 home. Purchased upgrade to 7 Pro. Purchased Dell 5345 with 8.1. Upgraded to 10. Didn't care for tiles . Got on his forum and discovered classic shell and how to double boot. N5050 is now 7 Pro and 10 Pro after a reset this PC installed 10 Pro over 7 Pro and wiped it out. Purchased 7 Pro from Amazon and restored it.

Meanwhile a little knowledge is dangerous-managed to brick Dell 5345 by misuse of Mini Tool Partition Wizard. It wouldn't even boot. Junked it. Latest effort is purchase of a new 7 Pro from Dell which will remain untouched.

Oh well-live and learn.

Send it to me if you're junking it. I'll take it.

Reaction score
Take it easy, DG. There are many free articles on the web on how to operate Windows 10. You'll have to make some effort to get the hang of it, but Win 10 is a great system.

Reaction score
I upgraded from win 7 home to win 10 home, I love win 10 so far, this is what I did to make it fast and look and feel like win 7, MAKE THESE CHAGES AT YOUR OWN RISK, but my pc looks and feels like win 7 and its fast !!

JUST incase all ways make a back up of any files, and better yet create a restore point.

Remove All Live Tiles from start menu
removing all of the live tiles from the right-hand portion of the menu. To do that, simply right-click any live tile, then select "Unpin from Start.".Repeat this process of unpinning live tiles from your Start menu until you are left with none.
Shrink Your Start Menu Down to a Single Column
With all of your live tiles gone, simply hover your mouse pointer over the right edge of your Start menu. When your mouse pointer changes into a double-headed arrow, click and hold your left mouse button, then drag the edge of your Start menu over to the left. if you want to put icons too apps on desktop, simply go to all apps in start, and just right click and hold, and drag to desktop to make a link. Or if you want to just add more items to the start list, go to settings, personalization, start, click on bottom of page, choose what apps appear on start, and just turn on the ones you want.

disable Wi-Fi Sense, only will appear if your using wifi, will not show up using Ethernet, open your Start menu and launch the Settings app. From here, choose the "Network & Internet" option to begin. Next, click the "Manage Wi-Fi settings" option on the following page.From here, the Wi-Fi Sense options will be displayed at the top of the screen. Basically, you want to disable every last option in this menu. Your passwords may still be stored remotely.

Disable Bandwidth Sharing for Updates
Again, start by heading to the Settings menu, but this time open the "Update & Security" section.From the "Windows Update" tab on the next screen, click the "Advanced options" button to find the setting we're looking for.Next, scroll down to the bottom of this page, then select the option labeled "Choose how updates are delivered."Finally, turn off the toggle switch directly beneath the excerpt about "Updates from more than one place."

Disable Automatically-Applied Updates
Go to Settings, then Update & Security, and select the "Advanced options" entry again. From here, click the drop-down menu directly beneath the "Choose how updates are installed". Finally, set this option to "Notify to schedule restart." This will ensure that Windows at least gives you a warning before restarting itself to apply updates.

Disable 'Getting to Know You' Features
so open your Start menu and launch the Settings app, then select "Privacy" to begin.
From here, select the "Speech, inking & typing" category in the left-hand menu, then click "Stop getting to know me" to take back a bit of privacy.

Disable Targeted Ads
To begin, head to the "General" tab in Windows 10's Privacy menu. From here, make sure to disable the topmost toggle switch, labeled "Let apps use my advertising ID for experiences across apps."
Disabling this setting won't affect Windows apps like Microsoft Edge, so you may want to take this a step further. To disable targeted ads in Edge, use the browser to navigate to https://choice.microsoft.com/en-gb/opt-out, then turn any available options off.

Prevent App-Access to Your Location, Microphone, & Webcam
First up, head to the "Location" tab in the Privacy menu, then scroll down to the bottom of the page to review the apps that have permission to access your location. To block any of these apps from accessing your location, simply toggle the adjacent switch to "Off."
In the same vein, head to the "Camera" tab to check on apps that can access your webcam. Again, scroll down to the bottom of the list, then turn off the toggle switches next to any unnecessary apps in this list.Finally, head to the "Microphone" tab in the Privacy menu to view apps that can access your microphone. Again, simply turn off any switches here if you don't want an app to access your microphone.

Disable Unwanted Background Apps
From the Privacy menu again, scroll down to the bottom of the menu on the left side of the page, then select the "Background apps" option. From here, simply use the toggle switches to prevent these apps from running on startup.

Speed up Pc
Search, msconfig, boot, # of processer = 2, memory,8000 mb, your might be deferent , turn off GUI on start up.
Go to services, on bottom of page check hide all Microsoft services, then uncheck all you do not want to run in background.
ALSO, in the search box, from desktop, type services, in services, right click and disable everything you do not or need to run, Bluetooth service and support, dmwappush, fax, all hyper v ,if you do not use any virtual machines, Microsoft sms router, phone, , retail demo, sensor data and sensor monitor, if you pc do not have any sort of light sensing for the monitor, sensor services, all xboxs, if you do not play online gaming,
In system go to advanced system settings, click performance, select for best performance.
To change the search box default to search only on the computer and not the web, open the search box, on the left panel click the setting icon, just select only search on the computer or pc.

jpk

Reaction score
If you don't like the W10 desktop with tiles there is a W7 desktop emulation on 10 I believe. Why not just do that? I've found W10 to be pretty much as easy to use as W7 was regardless.

Ask a Question