When I ReStart I get the message Inaccessible Boot Device

Reaction score
Quite frequently my Windows 10 Home dektop pc does not restart properly I get the blue screen and it says it will restart for me but generally does not but gives me the error message "Inaccessible Boot Device" It does not always do that but quite frequently. It is a PITK (pain in the kazoo)

I just restarted 3 times without a hitch but the fourth time it gave me the "Blue Screen Problem We Will Restart For You Error Inaccessible Boot Device" This time it actually went right ahead and restarted. It usually does not do that so readily.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Check and confirm that your BIOS is set to Disk 0 or which ever disk contains your install as the first device in the boot order.
The message you are getting can sometimes happen if you have a disk or usb drive inserted or attached that does not contain anything bootable but is at the top of the boot order.
Used to happen all the time in the days of floppy disks.

Reaction score
Check and confirm that your BIOS is set to Disk 0 or which ever disk contains your install as the first device in the boot order.
The message you are getting can sometimes happen if you have a disk or usb drive inserted or attached that does not contain anything bootable but is at the top of the boot order.
Used to happen all the time in the days of floppy disks.
I have already verified that the SSD is the first boot device and there are no USB devices or Disks inserted.

Reaction score
I have made a few changes recently and now, inexplicably, My system restarts much more frequently than before the changes. However, the changes should be totally unrelated to reset (IMO). The change was to remove my Microsoft account so on signing in there would be only one account.

That eliminated the problem of incorrect password after problematic restarts. I do not see how that could affect failure to boot though. I usually have problems in the morning on start up. I am closing down now for the night and will report my experience tomorrow.

It is amazing how fast this restarts when it goes well. I have nothing set to start automatically, In addition I have the BIOS configured with Ultra Fast Boot enabled. Also I have disabled the fancy BIOS Display Screen. It literally starts (not restarts) in eight seconds flat.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When you have a chance, check with the SSD manufacturer and confirm that you are running the latest firmware available for that drive.

Reaction score
Quite frequently my Windows 10 Home dektop pc does not restart properly I get the blue screen and it says it will restart for me but generally does not but gives me the error message "Inaccessible Boot Device" It does not always do that but quite frequently. It is a PITK (pain in the kazoo)

I just restarted 3 times without a hitch but the fourth time it gave me the "Blue Screen Problem We Will Restart For You Error Inaccessible Boot Device" This time it actually went right ahead and restarted. It usually does not do that so readily.
Hi check in the bios that your sata mode setting is not set to achi instead of ide you have to change this before you install your os

Reaction score
.Thanks, that's the default and I confirmed ACHI is selected.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I started my computer this morning and it started right up with none of the issues that I previously posted above. That's the first time in quite awhile that has happened.

Like I said the only thing changed is the removal of the Microsoft account. Very strange but I am not complaining.

Reaction score
I was just thinking about this and recall that my crashing problems started after I selected "sign in with a Microsoft account instead" (in Settings/Accounts/Your Accounts) with the intent to avoid the necessity of signing in. I Ran "netplwiz" etc. as well.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what the correlation might be, between a Microsoft Live ID Login versus a Local Account Login and an error message the says
Inaccessible Boot Device
But..... if changing from one to the other, seems to have resolved your issue, I would definitely take the win, bask in the genius and enjoy the proceeds.

Did you see my post above about checking the firmware to make sure it was the latest?

Reaction score
When you have a chance, check with the SSD manufacturer and confirm that you are running the latest firmware available for that drive.
I was rereading my post and saw your post above. I just submitted an inquiry to the SSD manufacturer regarding a firmware update as the only ones listed were for Windows 8.1 and were not very recent. Thanks for the input.

Coincidentally, You just posted here as I was typing this. And yes, I am basking and enjoying but am not convinced the problem is totally gone but it is much much better.

Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what the correlation might be, between a Microsoft Live ID Login versus a Local Account Login and an error message the says
But..... if changing from one to the other, seems to have resolved your issue, I would definitely take the win, bask in the genius and enjoy the proceeds.
You could sign in with a Microsoft account to test my theory. Do that for a couple of days and let me know the results of the experiment.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Unfortunately or maybe fortunately in this case, I have both local as well as Microsoft Live ID accounts on my computer and use them both daily to log into my machine and have never had your issue with any of them.
That's sort of why it makes it difficult for me to offer much in the way of actual help with your problem, as I cannot seem to duplicate it on my machine.

Ask a Question