Where have all my pictures gone?

Reaction score
After 3/4 failed attempts to update to "Creator", I finally managed it. So far so good. Until I tried to access my "Pictures" file. All gone!!! Over 20,000 shots of family and holidays. Desperately need help. This 73 year old silver surfer is severely brassed off!!!!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you opened File Explorer and checked the Windows.old directory which will contain your previous Windows build and user profile. It is this directory that is used if you Roll back to previous build.

You ought to be able to copy the files there and place them in your new build under your userprofile:
  • C:\Users\<your username>\Pictures

i.e. Open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows.Old\Users\<your username>\Pictures, then copy the picture files then navigate back to C:\Users\<you username>\Pictures and paste the copied files here.

Reaction score
Almost there. But there is no file in "old" referring to "Pictures". Just App Data/Desktop/Favourites/Links/NTUSER.DAT. Am i missing the point? (Many thanks for your assistance)

Reaction score
If I "RightClick" Camera Roll in the new version, there is the option to restore to "previous version". Is this worth a try?

Reaction score
Still cannot find anything relevant in the "old" files. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what did you try to get your missing files back?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Do you happen to have more than one Windows .old directory?

Additional ones would include numbers like 0001 in their name.

Also, do you have your User directories linked to One Drive at all? If you did they may be sitting in the cloud.

Reaction score
At some stage, the default path to Pictures changed. There is a small chance they are :

C:\Users\username\Documents\Pictures

Ask a Question