Which drivers do I need to install Windows 10?

Reaction score
Hi, I have been trying to install Windows 10 but my concern is I won't have access to internet (have no other PC) and so if I just put the W10 DVD in there, that would get the first part done but how to get connected to the internet?

Is there a site where I download and maybe burn the specific drivers I will need (presumably basic ones and ones needed for internet)? I don't mean all drivers, just whatever you think are necessary. Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Perhaps if you could provide the full product number for your particular computer someone will be able to link you to the proper download(s).
You'll need to provide the full product number which is likely located on a tag on the back, on the bottom or in some cases with laptops, under the battery.
HP Pavilion DV7 is not the full product spec.
Usually there will be some additional numbers such as HP Pavilion dv7-2185dx or something similar.

There is a better than average chance that Windows 10 will have a suitable driver for your network adapter, but if you don't want to flip that coin, then.....
Usually your computer manufacturer, or motherboard manufacturer, or the specific hardware device manufacturer will have a support site where you can download the driver(s) you would likely need to get most everything up and running.
Pay particular attention to Chipset, Video, Audio, LAN, WLAN, as your needs might dictate

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I typed in my product number and a number of drivers were suggested but then thinking it was going by my present setup, I asked it to list ALL drivers available for my system and I've used a printscrn to show you the result:

So I see 3 for chipset, 2 for video, 1 for audio, but nothing for Lan or WLan. What do you think the issue is? Thank you.

Reaction score
There is a lack of details here.
Where did you go to fetch that list? From the computer manufacturer?
It appears that you have not yet installed Windows 10, so, naturally, if you were seeking drivers for 10, it would have come up with such a comprehensive list.

Under most circumstances, unless your computer is really old, Windows 10 supplies all of the required drivers, during the installation. At the closing part of said installation, you answer some easily understood questions, and the response then moves forward. At a very early stage during the process, you are given the simple options for connecting to the internet, which Windows 10 will, by then, have detected.
I would suggest you make an image, in a separate place, say , another created partition, and then go for the installation. Worst case will be that you will need to go back to your previous OS.

If you care to post the basic details of what machine you have, I am certain that someone on this site will have something similar and will be able to advise.

Reaction score
So I see 3 for chipset, 2 for video, 1 for audio, but nothing for Lan or WLan. What do you think the issue is? Thank you.
That is not correct. You have three for network where LAN and WAN are settled. You just have to use those that are actually in your computer. That list shows any drivers/apps for your computer with different configurations...

BTW : Windows 10 brings a lot of generic and special drivers with it, so I doubt you won't be able to get online to get the appropriate drivers. During an install I recommend to wire your computer (ethernet cable) instead of relying on the wireless. That always works...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Except for some Killer network adapters, like the E2200 integrated on my GIGABYTE Z97X - Gaming 7 motherboard.
For some reason they haven't seemed to include that one natively.
It is definitely available through the Windows Update Catalog but without an Internet Connection...... irretrievable.
So I keep the latest on a thumb drive to use during clean installs.

Reaction score
There is a lack of details here.
Where did you go to fetch that list? From the computer manufacturer?
It appears that you have not yet installed Windows 10, so, naturally, if you were seeking drivers for 10, it would have come up with such a comprehensive list.

Under most circumstances, unless your computer is really old, Windows 10 supplies all of the required drivers, during the installation. At the closing part of said installation, you answer some easily understood questions, and the response then moves forward. At a very early stage during the process, you are given the simple options for connecting to the internet, which Windows 10 will, by then, have detected.
I would suggest you make an image, in a separate place, say , another created partition, and then go for the installation. Worst case will be that you will need to go back to your previous OS.

If you care to post the basic details of what machine you have, I am certain that someone on this site will have something similar and will be able to advise.

Thank you davehc for your reply. I have a DELL VOSTRO 3460. It's a laptop I purchased from Dell about three years ago. At the time it came with Windows 7. As I mentioned earlier, I then upgraded to Windows 10 because it was a free update. The way their website, Dell.com, works is you put in your product number and then I get a list of drives. If I enter only my product name and follow the link, I get a longer list which I had posted above (in the imagebam file). I had assumed that's the list I want, given that I will be reinstalling my Windows and have to start from zero. This is the link, btw.

An alternative way of doing it is by putting in my specific product number. I assume this list is only for my current state, to update my drivers that need updating, but not a comprehensive list of all drivers on my system. Now this gives me a short list but strangely, not always the same list. Earlier I got a list of three uncategorized drivers, one bios, and one application. Then now when I tried it again, I got one application, one bios, one serial ATA, and two video. The latter is in this imagebam file:

Again, please note that when I click the link at the bottom of the picture for "browse ALL drivers for Vostro 3460", I get the full list posted in the imagebam file in my previous post.

That is not correct. You have three for network where LAN and WAN are settled. You just have to use those that are actually in your computer. That list shows any drivers/apps for your computer with different configurations...

BTW : Windows 10 brings a lot of generic and special drivers with it, so I doubt you won't be able to get online to get the appropriate drivers. During an install I recommend to wire your computer (ethernet cable) instead of relying on the wireless. That always works...

THank you for your reply Grizzly. First off, I did click on the network and there are three listed:
Dell Wireless 1704 WiFi Driver
Dell Wireless 5560 WWAN Mobile Broadband Driver
Dell Wireless 1703/1705/1707/1901 WiFi + Bluetooth Driver

-I'm assuming the WWAN is WAN, but which is LAN?

-As far as you say that I have to choose the ones that are actually in my PC, how do I find that out? I opened the device manager but under network adapters, I don't see any of the above. I see Anchorfree, two Bluetooth Devices, one Intel Wireless one, A Qualcomm Atheros Ethernet Controller, and a bunch of WAN miniports.

-Lastly, it would have been nice if I had ethernet cable but my provider did not provide me with one (I know, weird) so I have only wireless.

Reaction score
it looks like you will not need a ethernet network driver. The qualcomm atheros is beside the realtek a very common driver and Windows should definitely bring that one with it.
An ethernet cable to buy is not expensive. I buy mine that are 10 ft long for about $3.99 a piece. As long as you have a router where you can plug it in, you are golden.

The WWAN driver you only need if you have a provider like you have for your cell phone. This is purely a for 3G and 4G networks like one has on tablets. In your case I highly doubt you will need it.
Anchorfree is a device to create a VPN (virtual private network). Right now you need to focus on the ethernet controller that this one is up and running (provided you will get an ethernet cable - CAT6 preferred).
I urge you to get a network cable if you want to install a new system.

Reaction score
Most of the computers I use are, in fact, Dells.
On the Dell Driver Download site, in my case
http://www.dell.com/support/home/dk/da/dkbsdt1/Products?app=drivers
I enter the "Service" tag. This translated from Danish, and could well be called something else on your site.
This takes me to the second page, where my computer is automatically listed, with full specs.

Whatever, you have arrived at the correct download page.
Sorry, I wasn't aware that you had actually installed Windows 10
Quote "Hi, I have been trying to install Windows 10 but my concern I"

But, surely, art the end, it made a search for your internet connection, which, according to your specs, and whether you are connected direct to your router or by wireless, it would have found it, which you are then able to choose?
Again, to emphasize, Windows/Microsoft, obtain the latest drivers that are passed to it from the manufacturers. Once you are up and running, a driver update, should there be one, will come automatically.

Ask a Question