Who's a silly boy

Reaction score
Good evening all
Being lock downed for 12 weeks I decided to see what Linux was all about firstly with live USB then with virtualbox, then I read that it was possible to run linux mint from a external SSD which I happened to have lying around. I installed linux mint on the SSD and was attempting to format the drive which did except I chose the wrong drive and ended up installing it on my laptop yes bye bye win 10 just like that ! I,m well pleased with linux mint and have enjoyed getting the few bug's I had out but I'd like to get at some of the stuff that was one my laptop, couple of months back I fitted my laptop with a SSD drive so I have my old HDD to hand popped it into a caddy a change the boot order to USB it try to boot but only as far as windows repair screen so to my question what do I need to do to be able to run from my old HDD externally if possible ?
Thanks
H

Reaction score
I don't believe Windows 10 will boot from a USB connection
It is possible with Win10 to use the MCT/Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB Thumb drive and boot for installing, I haven't tested a USB HDD or SSD for it. I wouldn't think it can run programs like the Linux LiveUSB or LiveDVD can such as with LibreOffice, VLC, etc.

I tried it once and the LiveDVD can run on a computer without an internal drive, just can't save anything except to a Thumb drive.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't believe Windows 10 will boot from a USB connection
I believe you are correct, unless it's is one of those "Windows To Go" devices
I'd like to get at some of the stuff that was one my laptop, couple of months back I fitted my laptop with a SSD drive so I have my old HDD to hand
While not likely to actually boot, unless reinstalled properly as it had been formerly, I would think that you would still be able to access the data present on the drive while connect via USB caddy.

Reaction score
No personal knowledge of this, but, when making an image of my computers, with Macrium pe on a usb plug, I select the in line menu at initial boot from the bios, and then the usb containing Macrium. It boots fine. Would it not do the same with a windows installation on an external USB?

Reaction score
Thanks for comment thus far, Ive 4 weeks of lock down left I'll keep give it a go
Thanks
H
You can move the DATA off that hard drive VIA USB adapter You just can't boot to the OS, You don't need to boot that old OS to recover your DATA Files just drag and drop them from the old to the new.
I just thought of something If you have available an eSATA port you could put the hard drive into an external case that has eSATA and it will boot from an eSATA connection

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
eSATA port you could put the hard drive into an external case that has eSATA and it will boot from an eSATA connection
Do you have some experience with this?
I was under the impression that Windows 10 wouldn't boot from anything that was considered "portable".
Again, except for "Windows to go"

Reaction score
Do you have some experience with this?
I was under the impression that Windows 10 wouldn't boot from anything that was considered "portable".
Again, except for "Windows to go"
I think with eSATA all drives are seen by the BIOS the same while USB drives are seen as USB devices. I have not had any reason to try this so I can't say for sure.
Can you boot from eSATA?
If your system does not support a boot menu, you can configure the BIOS to boot from a supported eSATA port instead. Use the arrow keys to highlight the eSATA external hard drive from the boot menu and press "Enter." If the eSATA drive is not listed, your system may not support booting from eSATA.
My Asus Z97 boards see eSATA connected drives the same as any other hard drive
https://www.eightforums.com/threads/external-hdd-in-an-external-esata-enclosure-bootable.63710/ This was a discussion on the eight forum on the subject.
https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/4380-can-windows-10-installed-esata-spinner-hd.html another discussion on the subject
I guess I could move my OS SSD from the mainboard to the eSATA card and see it if still boot the card has 4 internal SATA and 2 eSATA that all show up in my BIOS the same.
Yes this thread shows that yes a windows 10 OS can be installed and boot for eSATA https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/4380-can-windows-10-installed-esata-spinner-hd.html

Last edited:

Ask a Question