SOLVED Why does the major updates wipe out my printer and scanner

Reaction score
Every time we have a major update besides like yesterday taking 3 hours to restart and install the Fall Update version 1709, I have to reinstall my Epson R200 printer, now becoming a dab hand as doing so.

Also have to reinstall my Epson Perfection 2490 Photo scanner, I purchase a new Epson Perfection V370 Photo scanner two months ago and both were working perfectly. But now I am going to have to reinstall both of them. Anyone have ideas why Windows does like Epson products?

It is so frustrating and a good job I am retired because if I were have to go to work as well it would send me more up the wall than I am already.

I would just like to understand why in simple terms for a simple older person.

Reaction score
Hi Marion,

when Windblows 10 does its updates, it may well write over other (older) system files, this sadly leads to overwriting files still needed by your devices (like a printer). Often the only option is to go to your device manufacturers website and look for the latest drivers for W10 and re-install the drivers after the update.

The other option is to put your driver disk in the disk drive and run the set-up again and re-install the drivers that you already have. ;)

Epson do have good support and you can download drivers from their website:

https://www.epson.eu/support/?lng=en-IE&data=0ccCGROWIYNdYhe5K3n1rejmpkH4DGFjxMltf+J00KwU003D&tc=6 :):):)

Reaction score
Hi Marion,

when Windblows 10 does its updates, it may well write over other (older) system files, this sadly leads to overwriting files still needed by your devices (like a printer). Often the only option is to go to your device manufacturers website and look for the latest drivers for W10 and re-install the drivers after the update.

The other option is to put your driver disk in the disk drive and run the set-up again and re-install the drivers that you already have. ;)

Epson do have good support and you can download drivers from their website:

https://www.epson.eu/support/?lng=en-IE&data=0ccCGROWIYNdYhe5K3n1rejmpkH4DGFjxMltf+J00KwU003D&tc=6 :):):)

Thanks Wolfie

This is what I was thinking the cause to be and as I said everytime this happens I am getting a dab hand at reinstall but so frustrating. But knowing that there is nothing I can do to stop it happening helps at least it is caused by me! I expect there are many of us out here similarily frustrated but plodding on.

Marion

Reaction score
Hi Marion,

sadly MS don't seem to employ anyone with at least some common sense, they have the resources to purchase at least one of each device in the world to see if it has an effect on them, it is of course labour intensive so let the plebs deal with it themselves seems to be their credo!. I could of course be talking out of my rear end (won't be the first time!). :):):):)

And as Fox Mulder said, "The truth is out there". :D:D:D:D:D

Ask a Question