Why I'm reverting back to an OS (Windows 8) I don't even like...

Reaction score
On my Surface which I dearly love, I looked forward to Win 10 getting rid of the value-subtracted Metro interface. I listened with concern to the story about Microsoft forcing updates on Win 10 systems. Arrogant for sure. It's my system, I paid real money for it, I deserve the right to control it...

But it's much worse. The forced updates make the system unstable and unreliable. I open the system, expecting it to work and instead it's updating. After which it sometimes needs to reboot and becomes unresponsive for a time. And meanwhile I wait. And I wait.

I turned on my system just now. Again all of my applications have been closed. What I was doing on the web has been lost. And all so that Microsoft is not inconvenienced - only me, someone they clearly don't care about.

Goodbye Windows 10. You won't be missed.

Reaction score
I have empathy, Bruce. I have Windows 10 running smoothly. I also had Windows 8.1 running smoothly!

I have only had one problem of significance, with Windows 10 -- Updates!
They have, from time to time, refused to install without a little manipulation. I dont need problems! If MS don't come up with a better solution, I am back to Windows 8.1

Reaction score
It's funny. I have Windows 10 pro on two different PC's. I did the Group Policy trick on both, to prevent auto updates, and just notify me when they are available. It works fine on one......on the other, it just happily downloads them automatically, then informs me it needs to reboot. I don't get it.

I'd rather wait a couple days and make sure the updates are stable, then do them at my leisure. I'm getting close to just shutting down the update service, and only turn it on when I know updates are are available, and stable. That's a lot of crap (excuse the language) to go through.

On top of that, Windows still pushes a driver that borks my tablets touch screen. I've tried blocking it. I've tried uninstalling the driver (it doesn't show up in the updates to uninstall). I've tried installing the Windows 7 driver over it (it refuses to run, even in comparability mode).

The forced updates, and the privacy issues are my only problems with Windows 10. Other than that, it's the best OS Microsoft has put out since Windows 2000, in my opinion.

Ask a Question