SOLVED Why oh why when Windows 10 upgrades it wipes out my printers/scanners

Reaction score
I upgraded to windows 10 Jan 29 2016 and since then today is the second time it has fully re-installed and both times my printers and scanner have had to be re-installed as well. My favourite print Epson R200 was trouble to start which sorted out and last time it was trouble again which sorted itself and got working. So once again I have my fingers and toes crossed hoping it will sort itself out and work. But this is so frustrating for some-one who can just about get by one these problems. Why do Microsoft have to have some many upgrades in such a short time. Am I the only one suffering, I like Windows 10 but this is leading me to distration. Anyone any ideas how to get my Epson R200 back on track everything I did before is not working this time. I have an earlier thread which was solved but back to square one yet again!

Reaction score
Do you know what component of the printer ceases to function?

Since the printer seems to have a Windows 10 driver available, it should work normally. I also have not seen a problem with my Epson wireless system.

Reaction score
I upgraded to windows 10 Jan 29 2016 and since then today is the second time it has fully re-installed and both times my printers and scanner have had to be re-installed as well. My favourite print Epson R200 was trouble to start which sorted out and last time it was trouble again which sorted itself and got working. So once again I have my fingers and toes crossed hoping it will sort itself out and work. But this is so frustrating for some-one who can just about get by one these problems. Why do Microsoft have to have some many upgrades in such a short time. Am I the only one suffering, I like Windows 10 but this is leading me to distration. Anyone any ideas how to get my Epson R200 back on track everything I did before is not working this time. I have an earlier thread which was solved but back to square one yet again!
I have exactly the same problem. I found a workaround for the initial installation of Win10, but it no longer works on this update. Epson say the driver is loaded automatically on power up, so refuse to provide one as a download file, but Windows says the driver is incomplete and requires further installation. I have tried every trick I know but the R200 remains unusable; the windows update also seems to have deleted the old driver version as it is no longer found when I search. This is shockingly poor service from both MS and Epson and right now I feel like junking the lot and buying an apple!

Reaction score
Thank goodness someone else is having the same problems like you I have tried everything I have learnt before but I still have a much loved printer which I can't use. I am getting to hate windows 10. I hope that you resolve your problem and I am thinking of getting a computer bod to have a look for me other than throw the thing out of the window

Reaction score
Thank goodness someone else is having the same problems like you I have tried everything I have learnt before but I still have a much loved printer which I can't use. I am getting to hate windows 10. I hope that you resolve your problem and I am thinking of getting a computer bod to have a look for me other than throw the thing out of the window
I may end up having to buy another printer for daily use and just have the R200 on my old XP backup machine for when I need to do photographs. Epson themselves have also been dreadful; the support links on their website are circular, and you just keep going round and round without being able to actually talk to anyone or submit an error report. They also don't list the r200 as a choice when you fill in the form, so thats a non-starter too. I'm still wating for a reply to the letter I sent them when this first happened mopnths ago....

Reaction score
Good luck with all you are doing, I have P50 which is working OK in fact the print quality is slightly better than the R200 but for the basic caft printing the R200 is satisifactory and cheaper to run. The P50 will take compatible inks. I do not have the advantage of a back -up computer using XP or windows 7 both of which I had no problem with my R200. I know what you mean about Epson response they and Microsoft don't seem to want to try to help those of us with limited computer skills. So frustrating !! At least like me you have an alternative but what about those who don't left hanging.

Reaction score
I may end up having to buy another printer for daily use and just have the R200 on my old XP backup machine for when I need to do photographs. Epson themselves have also been dreadful; the support links on their website are circular, and you just keep going round and round without being able to actually talk to anyone or submit an error report. They also don't list the r200 as a choice when you fill in the form, so thats a non-starter too. I'm still wating for a reply to the letter I sent them when this first happened mopnths ago....
I have used Canon for years and there has always been a phone contact to speak to a tech. person. In the three times in 15 years that I have had a Canon and needed help, I got it. Solved in minutes.

You also said earlier "and right now I feel like junking the lot and buying an apple!". I ditched my iMac because of insoluble problems which made it a real pain to use. Nice machines, but not perfect.

Reaction score
When initially I had this problem I contacted Epson using 'contact us' and the only reply I got was suggestion that I purchased a new printer with details of what was on offer to suit my requirements. This seem to be the attitute throw away perfectly good machines and upgrade - not satifactory. The main trouble is of course is that over the years I prefer Epson printers perhaps it is time to consider a change.

Reaction score
When initially I had this problem I contacted Epson using 'contact us' and the only reply I got was suggestion that I purchased a new printer with details of what was on offer to suit my requirements. This seem to be the attitute throw away perfectly good machines and upgrade - not satifactory. The main trouble is of course is that over the years I prefer Epson printers perhaps it is time to consider a change.

Here's a possible solution; it worked for me anyway.

1.Go to "Settings, printers & scanners"
2. Select "add printer or scanner"
3. select "The printer I want isnt listed"
4. form the list that appears go to the bottom to select "add local/network printer manually"
5. for port , slect USB (assuming its connected using a USB cable)
6. Select Epson and r200 form the manufacturer's model list
7. Select use existing driver
8. install
9. print test page

I hope this does the trick for you!

Reaction score

If it goes wrong again, I will definitely switch manufacturer. Though I love the photo quality of the Epson, their unhelpful attitude and total lack of lack of interest or support is inexcusable.

Reaction score
Here's a possible solution; it worked for me anyway.

1.Go to "Settings, printers & scanners"
2. Select "add printer or scanner"
3. select "The printer I want isnt listed"
4. form the list that appears go to the bottom to select "add local/network printer manually"
5. for port , slect USB (assuming its connected using a USB cable)
6. Select Epson and r200 form the manufacturer's model list
7. Select use existing driver
8. install
9. print test page

I hope this does the trick for you!
Thank you so much Joe J I have done as you suggest and YES my printer is now working so I am back to using my favourite and least expense for draft work etc. which is helpful when producing my cards. I am so grateful you are my Star!

Reaction score
Thank you so much Joe J I have done as you suggest and YES my printer is now working so I am back to using my favourite and least expense for draft work etc. which is helpful when producing my cards. I am so grateful you are my Star!
Glad it worked Marion, happy printing! :)

Ask a Question