Windows 10 multiple upgrades

Reaction score
hi,

I am not sure whether to upgrade to windows 10, as I am not sure how many computers you can upgrade with the same email and that. At the moment I have a pc but soon ill be getting a new computer. Can I download windows 10 now on my current pc or wait until I get my new pc and do it then or can I do it on both

thanks for any help

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The Windows 10 free upgrade option, is free to any previous OS that qualifies and is not associated to any particular Email address.
As long as the computer(s) is running Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 (update) then you should be OK to upgrade.

Reaction score
Each computer is independent from the other.
As long as all your computers are genuine and entitled to free upgrade, they will get upgraded either by Windows Update or by using the ISO to do an in-place upgrade.

As to when you will do the upgrade, it's up to you. It's merely a matter of convenience, not procedures.
The free upgrade offer is good up to July 28th 2016.

Reaction score
also I was wondering if once u upgrade to windows 10 but then change your motherboard and chip will I still get the free upgrade?

Reaction score
A new mobo is a new computer. You will have to re-install a genuine copy of Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update 1 in order to get a free upgrade to Win 10.
That is my understanding.

Some will argue that. I stick to my belief.

Last edited:
Reaction score
also I was wondering if once u upgrade to windows 10 but then change your motherboard and chip will I still get the free upgrade?
I believe if you changed out your motherboard and processor after you did the upgrade that you would have to reinstall your OS as the product key would be tied to original motherboard serial number.

davidhik129 is absolutely correct.

the poorguy

Last edited:
Reaction score
so if I upgrade now then change my motherboard and chip and re download windows 8.1 or 7 I can still get the windows 10 update? also I don't want to upgrade now, and this keeps popping up. (don't know how to get a screenshot on this) Its says

your windows 10 upgrade is ready to install

(then under that it says)

[schedule it for later] (and) [start the upgrade now]

I don't want this popping up all the time as I cant close it, there is no x and task manager doesn't do it. how can I get rid of it but also still be able to upgrade my new computer to windows 10

Last edited:
Reaction score
after changing the motherboard then reinstalling windows 7 or windows 8.0 / 8.1 and activating it then you can receive the windows 10 upgrade.

as far as the reminder you might try removing the update kb3035583 and i believe this should stop the reminders. not sure though.

the poorguy

Reaction score
Use Scenario #3 and 4 of the tutorial below :
Prevent the Windows 10 upgrade from installing after making your reservation
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/...rade-installing-after-making-your-reservation
hey davidhk129,

good link to have on the halting the install of windows 10 upgrade as i don't believe i want to install it on my laptop just yet. there seems to be people having problems with drivers working on there laptop and i don't want to be one of them.

the poorguy

Reaction score
i wouldn't even worry about the update.
go to microsoft download center and download the windows 10 iso file and create a bootable dvd or flash drive and install it that way.

then open the dvd or flash drive you created and look for setup and click it and follow what it says.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

this was recommended to me from someone on this post and it work out well and no problems with the install.

i created a dvd using unetbootin.

the poorguy

Reaction score
if I do the scenario 3 and uninstall the file will I be able to get the update back after I change motherboards

If you do change mobo and then reinstall Windows, make sure it is activated first.

Yes, you will be able to get the update back........ after you have all Windows updates installed.
A faster way is to download the Media Creation Download Tool as already suggested to you.

However, I don't use the " DVD method".
Here is how I installed Win 10 Home and Win 10 Pro to my 2 laptops..............

1. Download the media Creation Tool. Make sure you pick the correct bit version.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2. Run the Tool.
Select Create installation media for another PC option. That will create a Win 10 ISO.
(You can burn it to a bootable media later on. My method does not need it ).

3. Right click at the ISO file you have downloaded > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation will begin.
This method allows you to keep your files, settings and apps.
This method does not require product key.
Activation will be automatic.

Ask a Question