Windows 10 licence vs hardware upgrades?

Reaction score
If I start with Windows 7 or 8 retail - ie the type of licence that allows indefinite hardware upgrades/transfer to a different computer - then upgrade to Windows 10, will I still be able to indefinitely upgrade my hardware, or does the Windows 10 licence become linmked withe the hardware it was first activated on?

Hope you understand the question...many thanks!

Reaction score
It's my understanding that if you want to move your original Windows 7 or 8.1 license to another computer that is your choice. Although if you wait too long the Windows 10 upgrade may not be free for a new hardware setup. The Windows 10 free upgrade is valid for the hardware of which it was activated. If you want to move the upgrade to a new machine, you must first move the foundation license first and then upgrade again. But then you are limited to the length of time the upgrade will be a free option.

Reaction score
If I start with Windows 7 or 8 retail - ie the type of licence that allows indefinite hardware upgrades/transfer to a different computer

On one condition................ You must uninstall the Win 7 or Win 8 from the computer first, then you are free to use the same retail license to install into another computer.

The same rule applies ......... one license one install.

If you upgrade your computer to Windows 10, your retail Win 7 or Win 8 license is tied up with Windows 10.
You cannot use the same Win 7 or Win 8 license and install into another computer.

If you have another computer running a genuine qualified OS such as Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1, you are entitled to have a free install of Windows 10 into it.
The Free Windows 10 upgrade offer expires after July 29th, 2016.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok - completely accept that you have to uninstall Win7/8 if using Win 10.... but I think your replies mean that I effectively end up with A Win 10 retail licence that allows me to transfer the operating system from computer to computer over time (as I could with Win 7 retail)?

Obviously in that process of moving at a future time to a new computer I would want to do a fresh Win 10 install (not install Win 7 then upgrade) - do I use the original Win 7 activation key?
Thanks again

Reaction score
Ok - completely accept that you have to uninstall Win7/8 if using Win 10.... but I think your replies mean that I effectively end up with A Win 10 retail licence that allows me to transfer the operating system from computer to computer over time (as I could with Win 7 retail)?

Obviously in that process of moving at a future time to a new computer I would want to do a fresh Win 10 install (not install Win 7 then upgrade) - do I use the original Win 7 activation key?
Thanks again

No, no, no.
A complete misunderstanding.
It's my fault not making it clear, I suppose.

You do NOT uninstall Win 7 /8 if you want to install Windows 10. In fact you need an existing qualified operating system such as Win7/8 in order to get a free upgrade to Windows 10 and be activated.

I said when you install Win 10 over your Win 7 or Win 8.1, the Win 7 or Win 8.1 license is tied up with Windows 10. You cannot use the same license on another computer.
I did not say Windows 10 has become a retail license.

There is no such thing as "transferring" Windows 10 from one computer to another computer.
Windows 10 ISO is freely available to download and you can use it to install in any computer you want.

When you want a free upgrade of Windows 10 on another computer, that computer will need an existing qualified operating system such as Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1 which has absolutely nothing to do with the retail license you have installed in the other computer.

I hope I have made it clearer this time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the update.

The key issue I am pursuing here is if the "Retail" nature of the Win 7 licence is preserved in the transition to Win 10.

The specific attribute being the ability to remove the operating system from one computer and put it on a different one - with a Win 7 retail licence you can do this as much as you want.

ie in contrast to a Win 7 OEM licence which is tied to the one computer

I think that you are effectively saying that if you start with a Win 7 Retail licence and upgrade to Win 10, then the Win 10 licence is effectively downgraded to OEM, ie you cannot subsequently move Win 10 to a new computer?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
if the "Retail" nature of the Win 7 licence is preserved in the transition to Win 10.

Yes. It is still valid.
Example, If you don't like the Windows 10 that you have installed over your retail Windows 7, you can reinstall Windows 7 using its product key.

The specific attribute being the ability to remove the operating system from one computer and put it on a different one - with a Win 7 retail licence you can do this as much as you want.

Yes. That is correct. Provided it is ..... one license one install.

I think that you are effectively saying that if you start with a Win 7 Retail licence and upgrade to Win 10, then the Win 10 licence is effectively downgraded to OEM, ie you cannot subsequently move Win 10 to a new computer?

No. I did not say that.
We are talking about Windows 10 that we installed via Windows Update or via its ISO file released by Microsoft.

That windows 10 is neither retail nor OEM.
Can you pulled yourself away from that Retail, OEM quicksand ?
I already told you, you can go to Microsoft website and freely download a copy of Windows 10 and install it to any computer you want.

If you buy a computer that comes with Windows 10 pre-installed. That is another topic.
If you buy a retail Windows 10 license with own product key, that is also another topic.
But we are not talking about that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
you can reinstall Windows 7 using its product key.
Indefinitely? I think I understand what he is saying. He wants to know if he still has the option to load his OS on other computers in the far future if he upgrades to Windows 10. Is that correct WP55?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't know how much more clearer I can make.
The retail Win 7/8 license is tied up to the installed Windows 10. It cannot be used to another computer as long as this Windows 10 is still running.

Reaction score
Yes.
He can reinstall Win 7 over the Win 10. Then uninstall Win 7 from the computer.
THEN he can use the Win 7 license for another computer.

Would you mind start a thread for yourself ?

Reaction score
Yes.
He can reinstall Win 7 over the Win 10. Then uninstall Win 7 from the computer.
THEN he can use the Win 7 license for another computer.

Would you mind start a thread for yourself ?
O, excuse me I did not realize this was your thread. I was just trying to assist the OP.

Reaction score
That's fine.
Go ahead and assist him.
Just that you kept asking me questions. That is why I asked you to start a new thread.
If you want to help the OP, talk to him directly.
I prefer to answer questions that come from the OP.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK - wow! Appreciate all your inputs.

I was simply wanting to understand if,
- starting with a Windows 7 Retail licence
- this will allow me to ugrade now to Windows 10 (yes I already know this part!!)
- AND, in some months time, AFTER the option to upgrade for free to Windows 10 has expired........
- .......remove Windows 10 from the computer it's on and install a fresh copy on a different computer.....
- which was the key distinction of having a retail licence vs OEM for previous Windows versions

I must admit, for every reply that comes in, I'm more confused as to the answer... so please keep them coming!!

Many thanks again

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
AND, in some months time, AFTER the option to upgrade for free to Windows 10 has expired........
- .......remove Windows 10 from the computer it's on and install a fresh copy on a different computer.....
No.
Hope that is not confusing.

Your underlying product key (I don't care which version of Windows or which Windows product type) suffers "death by upgrade", so nothing that came before is applicable in your musings.

Reaction score
remove Windows 10 from the computer it's on and install a fresh copy on a different computer.....

May I ask why do you combine the 2 into one sentence.
You do not have to remove Win 10 from one computer.
If you have another computer running a qualifying Win7/8, you can get a free upgrade of Win 10 installed into that other computer before July 29th 2016.
The 2 are independent and not relevant to each other.

Reaction score
No.
Hope that is not confusing.

Your underlying product key (I don't care which version of Windows or which Windows product type) suffers "death by upgrade", so nothing that came before is applicable in your musings.

So, if in the far future you (WP55) wish to get a second computer and use your Retail key then you will have to boot with the retail disc and use Windows 7.

Reaction score
May I ask why do you combine the 2 into one sentence.
You do not have to remove Win 10 from one computer.
If you have another computer running a qualifying Win7/8, you can get a free upgrade of Win 10 installed into that other computer before July 29th 2016.
The 2 are independent and not relevant to each other.
Ok - the reason for - in the future - (after July 29 2016) removing from one computer and installing on a different one is that I carry out regular upgrades of my PC - ie change motherboard/processor etc.

What i want is for the Win 10 licence to transfer from one to the other just like i have done with my XP licence.

What I think I am hearing is that after 29 July 2016, if I want to do that I will have to buy a new Win 10 licence, even if I started with a retail version of Win 7.

Reaction score
What I think I am hearing is that after 29 July 2016, if I want to do that I will have to buy a new Win 10 licence, even if I started with a retail version of Win 7.

Yes.
Free upgrade will be over after July 29th 2016.

Ask a Question