SOLVED Wi-fi settings not found

Reaction score
Windows10 - upgraded from W7 a couple of months ago. I have just installed a new modem for my main desktop PC. I had trouble following the setup directions because I can find NO wi-fi settings on my computer. When I went to my Notebook computer, there was a wi-fi icon in the systray which enabled me to choose the necessary network. So for my desktop I just went ahead and set up a new broadband connection. Everything seems OK as it works ie I can connect to wi-fi on my mobile phone and the Notebook but I was not able to physically select available network for my desktop.

I tried to find Wi-fi Sense in my settings but nothing found. I came across the following:

The initial settings for Wi‑Fi Sense are determined by the options you chose when you first set up your PC with Windows 10 or your phone with Windows 10 Mobile. You can change your Wi‑Fi Sense settings any time by selecting Settings > Network & Internet > Wi‑Fi > Manage Wi‑Fi settings on your PC or Settings > Network & wireless > Wi‑Fi > Wi‑Fi Sense on your phone, and then changing one or both of these settings under Wi‑Fi Sense: ...

I have NO Wi-fi setting in Network.

Reaction score
You need to have a WiFi adapter enabled on the system to show WiFi options. I can't help with the phone but there may be a setting there allowing access.

As far as I know, WiFi Sense is related to connecting to mobile access points when you are out and about, such as hotspots and possibly access enabled on a friend or work acquaintance.

Reaction score
Perhaps I disabled Wi-fi sense when I set up W10 because my ISP has a similar thing that I can access on my plan.
As regards to the Wi-fi Adapter, I must have one as this is only a new modem not a completely new setup and I had wi-fi before. Thanks for that - now I know where to search.

Reaction score
I have a RealTek PCIe GBE Family Controller. It says it is working normally and has the latest drivers. However, in Device Manager/Network Adapters.Real.../Properties/Events, it says
Device PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_84321043&REV_06\4&1d7623a1&0&00E2 requires further installation.
What is my next step?
Thanks

Reaction score
First make sure there is not key combination or physical switch which has the Wireless Adapter turned off.

Then open a Run box and type ncpa.cpl to open the connections panel. Make sure a wireless adapter is available and enabled.

The Realtek is normally an Ethernet adapter.

Reaction score
Key combination or physical switch? No idea about this but I had wi-fi before I changed modems so don't imagine anything has changed.

When I run ncpa.cpl it shows Local Area Connection, Network 3 ,(name I used when adding new modem) and then the RealTek name as in previous posts. When I click on Status:
IPv4 Connectivity: Internet
IPv6 Connectivity: No Network Access
Media State: Enabled

If I click on Change Settings and Configure/General, it says the device is working properly. If I click on Configure/ Advanced, one setting Network Address, says Not Present. Configure/Events says: Device PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_84321043&REV_06\4&1d7623a1&0&00E2 requires further installation.

All a bit mystifying as I have installed modems before and not run into any issues like this.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
According to everything you've said above.....
You do not have a wireless adapter installed and or configured on your desktop.
You obviously have wireless connectivity available, as you've said both your notebook and your phone are connected, however if the only available network connection you are seeing in the Network Control Panel Applet (ncpa.cpl) and in Device Manager is the Realtek PCIe Gigabit Family adapter then you will need to physically connect that (Realtek device) with an Ethernet cable to your "new modem" in order to successfully connect to the internet through your ISP.

Typically, most Desktop Computers do not come with a wireless network adapter, so.....
Since you believe, that at some point in the recent past (prior to you installing the "new modem") you did have wireless available on your desktop....
Can you physically see the wireless device?
Is it a USB dongle that supports a wireless connection?
OR
Is it integrated internally on your system. IF that is the case, then can you provide a link to your desktop Manufacturer Name and Model Number or otherwise check your documentation to see what wireless adapter is installed on that computer. IF it was installed by the manufacturer, then it should be listed somewhere in the documentation for the computer. IF it is an after-market, third party device that you installed yourself or had installed by someone then you should have some information regarding the purchase and or installation. That type of specific information might be helpful in further diagnosing your issue.

IF it is physically present, then Device Manager might be showing it as Other / Unknown device with an icon indicating that it needs drivers or other configuration in order to work properly.

Reaction score
Not a dongle - definitely integrated. Custom computer. I have a cable connecting the ADSL filter to the phone line and into the back of the modem in the DSL port. I have two Ethernet cables connecting 2 computers into the appropriate ports on the modem.

Device Manager/Network Adapters:

RealTek ....
WAN Miniport x 8
(IKRv2)
(IP)
(IPv6)
(L2TP)
Network Monitor
PPPOE
PPTP
SSTP
None of which are showing any warnings.

Does this tell you anything?

Will research further.
Thanks!

[Later] Yes, I think now that I DON'T have a wireless adapter on either of 2 desktops. So the question is: do I actually need it? Phone yes and tablet yes but the desktops are not going anywhere so perhaps it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Final update: spent hours on this and finally called my tech guru who spent a fruitless hour trying to connect the printer and believe me he knows what he is doing. He even tried a direct connection via cable. He said the Epson software was the problem even with the newly updated package of drivers etc downloaded and there was no way on this particular printer to input the wi-fi setup directly to the printer as it does not have the ability to do that. So the cheapest way out is to buy another printer which I have ordered and it will be delivered tomorrow. This one will have all the settings on the front printer panel. So hopefully that will work.
Thanks for all the input.

Ask a Question