SOLVED Win 10 and USB 3.0

Reaction score
I upgraded to Win 10 when it first became available. Since upgrading, none of the USB 3.0 ports on my PC work. I have checked and all the required drivers seem to be in place. I seem to have a vague memory that I read that Win 10 couldn't be installed with any USB 3.0 devices connected to the PC. Is this true? Why? My backup drive was connected and it is USB 3.0. I'm no programmer, but it doesn't make sense to me. Is there a power supply limitation for USB 3.0? Mine is 300 watt. Is that a problem. Is there a fix for this problem that anyone knows about? Can Win 10 be re-installed without losing all the apps? I know Win 10 keeps data, but what about all the apps associated with that data?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I upgraded to Win 10 when it first became available. Since upgrading, none of the USB 3.0 ports on my PC work.
Does you PC or custom mobo have the current updates from their own support site? Does your PC or custom mobo support windows 10?

The reason I ask question 2 is because; I have several PC's (laptops and desktops) that run windows 10 but there is no actual driver support for them. This means that those units are running the basic window 10 drivers...the generic drivers. For a lot of user out there in this situation, some of their hardware doesn't work correctly or at all.

Reaction score
Does you PC or custom mobo have the current updates from their own support site? Does your PC or custom mobo support windows 10?

The reason I ask question 2 is because; I have several PC's (laptops and desktops) that run windows 10 but there is no actual driver support for them. This means that those units are running the basic window 10 drivers...the generic drivers. For a lot of user out there in this situation, some of their hardware doesn't work correctly or at all.

I know the MB drivers are up to date. But, I don't know if they specifically support Win 10. I know it supports Win 8.1 I'll have to check into it. I just assumed it did because the specs say full USB 3.0 support, even a USB 3.0 Boost.

Reaction score
HI Rick,

what make and model computer is it?, there may be newer drivers on their website that are not openly visible?. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Originally an HP. But, I've replaced the MB with an ASUS A88XM-A. I have the latest bios upgrade for the MB already installed. The USB 3.0 ports worked before I upgraded to Win 10.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
What does you device manager look like? Any errors or missing drivers showing up in there?

Reaction score
What does you device manager look like? Any errors or missing drivers showing up in there?

No errors or missing drivers. I do see that under "Universal Serial Buss controllers" , every entry is duplicated at least once, except "USB Printing Support".

upload_2018-1-5_13-19-52.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-5_13-19-2.png
    upload_2018-1-5_13-19-2.png
    227 KB · Views: 508

bassfisher6522

Reaction score

Thanks Wolfie.....I was waiting to see what the device manager looked like before my next suggestion with adding Asus link.

Now, Rick you need to compare your drivers make/model/date with what your mobo link has listed. The reason is, if windows can't find the correct driver it will simply use it's own generic driver which may or may not work.

Ask a Question