Win 10 and WildBlue satellite

Reaction score
My XPS 8900 was ordered with Win 10 Home and use FireFox 43.3 browser. Living in a very rural
area, I use Wild Blue satellite to connect to the Internet. I was hoping Win 10 would be, at least, just as fast as my old WinXP in opening new webpages. However, it is very slow opening new webpage instead. I have tried using Windows Edge and still the same problem.

I am on a metered connection (grandfathered 10 gig "value package") so I limited any to how many Big downloads I'll allow to begin with. But just to open a new webpage doesn't need nearly a minute to load. I am still on Windows 10 10240 because of what some problems the November presented, I understand. So waiting for the next update to download as these are "HUGE" (3 gigs!) I understand.

Any ideas and/or suggestions?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tested your internet speed on both your new computer and compared it to the same test on your old XP machine.
http://www.speedtest.net/
While I'm not familiar with that particular provider, I've been reading some reviews and it seems that they are transitioning away from Wild Blue to Exede which may or may not be available to you.
Editor’s Note: This product has been removed from viewing as part of this site because ViaSat no longer sells service to the WildBlue satellite. You can still read our original review below, but TopTenREVIEWS is no longer updating this product’s information. Please check Exede's review, as this is ViaSat's latest service.

WildBlue is the predecessor of Exede, the latest generation of satellite internet by the satellite communications giant ViaSat. This satellite internet service is offered in rural areas of the country where the newer Exede service is not available. WildBlue isn't the fastest service on our lineup, but it is a drastic improvement over dial-up and has all the service features you'd expect with satellite broadband.
SOURCE: http://satellite-internet-review.toptenreviews.com/wildblue-review.html
Exede's service surpasses the competition, making it our pick for the best satellite internet service provider.
SOURCE: http://satellite-internet-review.toptenreviews.com/exede-review.html

Reaction score
Satellite internet is horribly slow. My parents have it also and I can't stand to use their computer. Unless you can upgrade your internet connection to something faster I think you are stuck with slow web page loading.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, my old Inspiron WinXP died shortly after I ordered the new computer. So unable to run a comparison speed test. I contemplated upgrading my package to the next one as a possible solution. However that would involved switching to WildBlue/Exede rather than WildBlue itself. Also a additional 'rental' fee would be charged for a new modem ....on top of what the upgraded package would cost me. As it is, my present "WildBlue Only" package is "Grandfathered" with no additional fees as I've had this for several years.

So I'll stick with what I have and be patient. Unlike Hughes Net, WildBlue has a daily "rolling system". Less usage, means the amount drops faster and eventually, speedier page turning...comparably speaking.

We have several Towers around here so Verizon is available but it cost too much per month. But after my experiences with it as my "default" phone service for years, No way. Horrible service and they kept messing up my phone bills. A couple of years ago, Verizon wanted to give Wi Fi instead and sold their telephone (land line et.c.) to Frontier. Never had a problem with them. Frontier does offer bundled Hughes Net Satellite with their phone package. But this is for new customers. However, There Is a community effort to get Frontier to offer DSL .

Now Why I still have "Land Line" service? One, I have had it for decades. Two, My area is subject to fierce Summer thunder storms....and when the power goes out, only the "Landlines" stay in service.

Reaction score
I have cable internet at 50 Mbps. But I have DirecTV and I certainly agree about the thunderstorm problem.

The last time I checked out Satellite Internet it was only 400 Kbps. I see Hughes is advertising of UP TO 15 Mbps. The further north you are the lower your signal strength might be.

My question would be what is you current IPS advertising for speed and what are you seeing in Task Manger when you are downloading. Your speed will be restricted by the slowest part of you network. I am not certain whether XP or 10 would make much of a difference, but that may be related to your devices.

Reaction score
To Trouble,
Thank you for the review links. ;) Yes, WildBlue ain't the fastest and its' devices aren't the "brightest" yet it was better than dial up. And before getting WB, I was on dial up but I couldn't afford having the phone line tied up when the computer was in use and couldn't get phone calls. So had a separate computer phone line....which became too expensive to keep and had to drop it.

Although there "were" advantages with dial up over satellite. Uploads/Downloads were the same. Didn't have to worry about Satellite distances or "piggybacking" et.c. At the time I was administrator for Human Head Studios official website "RUNE". Dial up caused an average 400 Ping playing MP but it let me keep in touch with the game's community in "real time". However, the family business needed what the satellite offered and had the WB installed. MP gameplay ping/lag was worse.....but I knew why and expected it and lived with it. The family business was more important than the gaming...and so it goes.

To Saltgrass, ".....but that may berelated to your devices" Probably more the case. The Inspiron and WinXP were my long time stable and patient "workhorses". The new XPS and Win 10 seems to act more like thoroughbreds hooked up to the old traces, right now. The traces are old and worn but will still do the job for now until something better is available out where I am.

Heh, I wish I could get Cable. But the closest company is over 30 miles away.

Ask a Question