Win 10 Not For You

Reaction score
I am 73 and have been a loyal user of Microsoft operating systems since Win 3.1, now, they have totally lost me with Win 10. Compared to Win 7, it stinks.

I recommend you download Linux Mint!

Reaction score
Warning Heresy Alert! If you don't need to run any Windows specific programs then Linux Mint or possibly Ubuntu combined with Libre Office will do everything that 90% of people need to do reliably, faster and on lower spec hardware. Whats more although there are/have been Linux virii and worms there have not been very many.

Been there, done that. I worked on MS from Dos 1.0 through NT, W2000 and then XP and W7. Now I have W10 ( production and Insider)and I find it a satisfactory system now most of the really stupid bugs are out of it.

Reaction score
Warning Heresy Alert! If you don't need to run any Windows specific programs then Linux Mint or possibly Ubuntu combined with Libre Office will do everything that 90% of people need to do reliably, faster and on lower spec hardware. Whats more although there are/have been Linux virii and worms there have not been very many.

Been there, done that. I worked on MS from Dos 1.0 through NT, W2000 and then XP and W7. Now I have W10 ( production and Insider)and I find it a satisfactory system now most of the really stupid bugs are out of it.

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Mint. I've been running it on my laptop for years. I would suggest Ubuntu Gnome though. Takes a little while to get used to the UI, but looks way better than Mint. I only use Mint because for some reason it is the only version of Linux that has an easy fix for my old wifi drivers.

Windows 10 is perfectly fine, and necessary for me, as a PC gamer. I see how it is intimidating for some. But is 1000x better than Windows 8 (except for the privacy issues).

Reaction score
I can see why you like it for you are in a position to deflect any of the dirty stuff Microsoft wants to do. . Forced updating. Things like privacy-invading, data-swiping and “brimming with freemium services and ads. Now, just a little something form another source;

Wayne Williams wrote at BetaNews, “Even if you like Windows 10, you should be angry at Microsoft.”

The “relentless pushing” from the software company is “scummy behavior, totally unbefitting of a company of Microsoft’s size and reputation.”

“The latest trick … should have people brandishing pitchforks and flaming torches and marching on Redmond, but it doesn’t. Why?Because Microsoft’s s—– g tricks are now what we expect from the company which doesn’t care in the slightest about its customers.

“Microsoft wants to get Windows 10 on a billion devices, and it’s going to hit that target even if Satya Nadella has to smash his way into your home and install it on your PC while you sleep. Sure, your computer might not work afterwards, but who cares, right? Certainly not Microsoft.”

He wrote: “Type ‘Windows 10 is’ into Google and the autocomplete suggests, among other things, the operating system is ‘bad’, ‘slow, ‘spyware’, and a ‘virus’. Bing pulls even fewer punches, saying Windows 10 is ‘rubbish’, ‘crap’, ‘awful’, ‘horrible’, and ‘slow’. Neither search engine suggests anything positive about Windows 10.

“Microsoft says once the free period expires on July 29, the Get Windows 10 (GWX) app will be removed from Windows 7 and 8.1 machines which have survived the bombardment, but will that be the end of Microsoft’s dirty campaign tricks? Somehow I doubt it.”

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Mint. I've been running it on my laptop for years. I would suggest Ubuntu Gnome though. Takes a little while to get used to the UI, but looks way better than Mint. I only use Mint because for some reason it is the only version of Linux that has an easy fix for my old wifi drivers.

Windows 10 is perfectly fine, and necessary for me, as a PC gamer. I see how it is intimidating for some. But is 1000x better than Windows 8 (except for the privacy issues).

Reaction score
GWX will disappear on Win 7 and 8.1 machines. However MS will continue their slithering into those machines with another seemingly harmless update.
MS doesn't care they are Teflon coated.

Reaction score
I understand, but just so you and others know, I installed Linux Mint on two of my systems. One of which, was 20 years old and the other is an updated system I just built. Both systems were upgraded in less than 5 minutes and, what was surprising to me, Mint picked up all hardware immediately and installed all drivers. Even before I ran update. Also, i am running most of my favorite software with no problem. Do I love windows? The answer is yes. However, since Microsoft has become this scummy trickster, it's really easy to leave. Microsoft likes to think it has the market sewed up.......well, let's see!!!

Reaction score
I can see why you like it for you are in a position to deflect any of the dirty stuff Microsoft wants to do. . Forced updating. Things like privacy-invading, data-swiping and “brimming with freemium services and ads.
...snip

I am not in any special position. I get all the updates like it or not and had to go through all the stuff of turning off the telemetry like anyone else. I don't and never have worked for MS, just worked using MS products on Intel hardware and Linux on Intel as well as it happens.

Ask a Question