Win 10 on SSD freezes

Reaction score
I have just completed a triple boot configuration. Sorry, but I have a couple of programs that will only run on XP. My old XP machine MoBo would not support 7 or 10, so I got a new machine with 7 installed. I left XP on my original HDD, reset all the drivers per info found on several forums, migrated it to the new machine and it works fine. Checked that Win7 was still okay, and could access the XP drive fine. Booted back to XP and could access the Win 7 drive fine. Then did a clean Win 10 install on a new SDD. For adding the XP drive to the system and for adding and installing the SSD and Win10, I unplugged the other drives. After getting things working, I reconnected the other drives. All went well until I booted to XP for the first time after the Win 10 install. XP saw the SDD as a new device and did it's thing "adding a new device...drivers....etc". I didn't' think anything of it. In XP I could access both the 7 and 10 drives. Rebooted to 7, could access the XP and 10 drives. Booted to 10 and boom. Welcome screen comes up, and then a solid light blue screen (is this the 10 version of the BSOD?). No mouse, but the keyboard works. Win 10 will not finish loading or work.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

DCS

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not a techie, but somewhere along the line, after I leave the PC alone for a while it goes to sleep; and then it has started requesting my Hotmail Password. It never did so in the past. Mostly this is no problem but sometimes it just hangs endlessly after a password entry on the "welcome" screen. When nothing happens further I switch off and on again. There is usually a message that the PC did not shut down properly and did I wish to resume or repair? On the odd times I have requested a repair nothing happens or it can't find a solution, I then have to reboot.
Is all this a W10 problem or signs of a dying PC? It is nearly 4 years old.
Is this similar to your problem?

Reaction score
DCS,

Doesn't sound like the same type of issue.

Update: After trying to run Win 10 and having it lock up, I went back to boot Win 7 and it had to go through a ChkDsk process for all the drives before loading. Did some searching and found that that NTFS used on 10 is different than earlier versions. When you boot 10, it looks at all the other drives and configures them to work with 10. Then when you try to boot from another OS, the drives look corrupted, hence the ChkDsk. Everything runs fine once the ChkDsk is finished.

So, there may be two issues going on: 1. what made 10 fail, and 2. how to prevent the whole ChkDsk thing.

After some research, there appear to be some work arounds for the latter. One way is to tell 10 to use the old NTFS system - kind of defeats the purpose of going to 10 - that shift in NTFS technology is apparently how 10 boots faster and accesses stuff faster. Another way is to "unmount" the other drives so 10 doesn't see them.

What puzzles me is when 10 shuts down it's supposed to go back out and reset the drives to their default NTFS settings. Also, there are tons of posts about putting 10 and 7 on the same drive with no issues......

The whole thing has be baffled.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Yes , I found this out early on that Win 10 uses a different NTFS than earlier versions. When I tried do dual boot 10 with 7 it was a real mess.

Ask a Question