Windows 10 on an SSD

Reaction score
Hi
At present my C: drive is a 200GB partition on a 1.5TB drive. I have now purchased a 240GB SSD and I would like to use this as my drive C:. I tried Acronis to create a bootable copy of of my current drive C:, but it wasn't able to because it of my drive C: being on a partition.
Does anyone here know another method to create an exact copy of my drive C: onto my new SSD?
Thanks
Terry

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Typically, in order for a physical drive to be bootable it will contain two partitions minimum generally indicated as "System" which ironically contains the necessary "boot" files (generally small) and a second partition indicated as "Boot" which again ironically contains the "System" files (just something Microsoft has done for as long as I can remember).
OFTEN
A third partition is present indicated as "Recovery". Generally a smaller partition which contains some tools for the Windows RE (recovery environment) but.....
Can be rather large and contain factory image(s) for resetting your computer to factory OOBE.

Use Acronis (backup my disks) and expose "full partition list" and grab those three partition for your .tib file and then use that to restore to your new SSD that should resolve your boot issues.
Assuming of course there is sufficient room on the SSD and sufficient free space after the restore.

I assume on a 1.5 TB drive you have a large partition or two containing only data, which you need to exclude from this particular .tib file, but....
You should of course make sure you have a full and complete disk image of all partitions, tucked away for safe keeping.

Capture.PNG

Reaction score
My Samsung SSD said the drive has to be no more that 80%. A 240gb drive can use only 192gb. That is per Samsung. My 500gb drive transfer went to 411gb. I went to a 1tb drive.

Reaction score
My Samsung SSD said the drive has to be no more that 80%. A 240gb drive can use only 192gb. That is per Samsung. My 500gb drive transfer went to 411gb. I went to a 1tb drive.
That is weird. Well, maybe it is just Samsung. SSD's usually have a 7-8% reservation in case that a memory cell fails. My 500GB have a usable capacity of 465GB and my SSD is a Samsung EVO 850.
No one has ever said that Samsung knows what they are doing and their Support is, lets say, still in diapers...

@terrym : what you can do to transfer your system to the new disk is this:

make an image of your old system without the large partition. Make sure you include eventual present partitions as trouble has mentioned. then recover that image on the new disk including those partitions. Acronis offers the option to do that automatic but that means that the partitions may change in size (growing), depending on the size they have been before. Has always worked for me that way....

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is weird. Well, maybe it is just Samsung. SSD's usually have a 7-8% reservation in case that a memory cell fails. My 500GB have a usable capacity of 465GB and my SSD is a Samsung EVO 850..

Sorry I was not clear. Samsung told me the transfer cannot be over 80%. This was using their data migration program.

Reaction score
Hi
At present my C: drive is a 200GB partition on a 1.5TB drive. I have now purchased a 240GB SSD and I would like to use this as my drive C:. I tried Acronis to create a bootable copy of of my current drive C:, but it wasn't able to because it of my drive C: being on a partition.
Does anyone here know another method to create an exact copy of my drive C: onto my new SSD?
Thanks
Terry
Macrium Reflect free -- beats anything else I have tried - u can clone, image, and do it with the whole drive or patritions VERY easily. A few choices and u are done. What you can't do with free is place a 500gb drive image, with 200 gb data, onto a 250gb drive. U can put a 250 gb image onto a 500gb drive. the paid version will support that resizing.

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks
Terry
I use the free version of Easeus Todo back up and make sure to select the option to optimize for SSD Select the part you want to clone and go

Reaction score
The thread starter has left the building (over a month ago) Probably Trouble's post, #2, covered the answer adequately.

Ask a Question