SOLVED Pre-Installed Win10 version to new ssd

Reaction score
Hi, I'm putting an SSD into my system soon and was wondering how I'm going to reinstall Win10 to the new drive. I'm currently running Windows 10 that was pre-installed by dell. Cloning my HDD and methods along those lines won't work as I have a lot of games that exceeds the storage space on the SSD by far. I also don't mind completely reinstalling the OS and having to redownload all of my games because I may have to do that anyway as I am getting a new Mother Board as well. If you could help me that would be much appreciated, thanks.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Since this is an OEM (Dell).....that OS is permanently tied to the mobo and you can never move it. You will need to buy a new OS with product key.

Alternatively, you might be able to call MS and "say" that your HDD crashed and you had to get a new HDD and now you need to reinstall the OS on the new HDD. MS should reactivate it for you.

Reaction score
Well, that sucks. Looks like I'm going to be spending more than I intended to. Thanks for the help bassfisher, atleast now I know ahead of time that I gotta buy a new OS.

Reaction score
With a Z170 mobo why do you need to change it? Not exactly an out of date old clunker. The money you save by NOT buying a new Mobo and a W10 licence almost gets you to a 1TB SSD

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
OK...now I'm confused....in your post you stated that the OS is preinstalled by Dell....yet your system specs indicate that you have a custom build. Are you referring to the PC in your system specs or to the PC in your post.

If this is a custom build....then there's no way your OS was pre-installed by Dell.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There is a post here
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/major-hardware-upgrade-and-windows-10.10423/
Where the member did what I would consider a major upgrade of his computer and Microsoft still activated his Windows 10 install for him....
The new SSD is not a deal breaker a clean install to a new hard drive on a system that has already been running an activated Windows 10 install should work without any issues.... but the new motherboard might be.
It might be a coin toss and a matter of whether you get someone helpful with a phone call when it comes time to activation.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Reaction score
My Lenovo machine came with Windows 10 installed. I had an SSD fitted and my comp. shop used MS's Media Creation Tool, which (he said) was straightforward. It installed a fresh Windows 10. I can't remember about a Windows installer key. Either he got it from the bowels of the comp. or the machine remembered that a legit Windows had alreadt been installed. Anyway, I did not have to buy another Windows 10.

Ask a Question