SOLVED Installing w10 on preinstalled w8.1

Reaction score
I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop which came with Windows 8.1 installed on it and consequently I have no Product Key for Win 8.1. This stops Win 10 installation and I do not know where to go from here. Surely MS have not excluded owners like me from a free upgrade. All help will be gratefully appreciated. Chas.

Reaction score
I have two issues....the 1st is I try to install Windows 10 over 7 and it downloads then starts install....stops and then reloads 7 with no warning that I can see....

the 2nd is trying to see anything beyond "can reach this page" when loaded on my wife's new computer over Windows 8.1....totally annoying...Ihave ordered software and cant reach it due to error.....

HELP!!!!

Reaction score
How does it stop the installation? If you are upgrading then you should not even be asked for a product key at all.
I used a USB copy of the upgrade to upgrade two Win 7 machines and I was asked for the 7 product key in both cases. When it comes to this stage on 8.1 it will not proceed without entering the Product key. I can use the USB to effect a straight install on 8.1 when this stage can be by-passed but no doubt it will foul up at some later stage, and the installation in this case is not fully implemented.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I used a USB copy of the upgrade to upgrade two Win 7 machines and I was asked for the 7 product key in both cases.
Are you certain that you USB copy was the same version ( home or pro) and the same bit architecture (32 or 64 bit)?
I've done a few of these upgrades now and was never asked for a key. Except when performing a clean install on a previously activated version of Windows 10 in which case I was able to bypass both prompts for a product key.

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. I have found w new page in MS (new to me anyway) which will install Win 10 on to my Win 8.1 without needing a Prodct Key. This is expressly stated in the blurb so it has obviously been a problem. Now solved.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Would you mind sharing a link to that "new page" so we might also benefit from the contents of whatever is "stated in the blurb".

Ask a Question