Win 10 OS size?

Reaction score
Hi.
Both my wife and I have purchased new laptops with Win 10 64 bit, while mine has a 128 GB SDD + 1TB HDD, my wife's has only a 128 GB SSD as she wants her laptop to be mobile and compact.
My questions is how big can the OS get as they are both already at approx 45 GB in size at set up and updates, nothing installed yet?
For her laptop it seems rather large for the size of the SSD and can it grow in the future with updates?

Any suggestions or ideas?

TIA
Neil

Reaction score
It wont grow very much with the updates. Normally, whilst there are exceptions, they are replacements to improve problematic parts.
I have an average amount of third party software on my main laptop. Including the updates (to date) the space consumed is +/- 50 gbs
Your query cannot really be answered by members here. It is entirely dependant on your wife's interests. If she is not too much into intensive game play, or heavy graphic programs,, 128gbs will satisfy her.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My laptops with the current install and all the programs/apps that I really need, sum up to 25Gb, not including my personal files, just the system itself. My personal files are on a separate partition on the same SSD.
Usually if someone does only surf/email or do an occasional letter writing, 128GB is more than sufficient....

Reaction score
From experience your laptop with an SSD can be upgraded easily should you need to.

If it is a standard 2.5" SATA SSD then a 2.5" 256Gb or 512GB will fit in there at a small penalty of battery life.
If it is an M2 format SSD then the same applies if the 'slot' has the second screw hole for a longer drive. My several year old Lenovo had a 512Gb spinner and a 22GB M2 drive and now has a 256GB SSD and a 128GB M2 SSD.

Your wife's machine may be a bit more difficult, you will need to find out from the company.
I would bet that some of these very small and slim notebooks use a single M2 format SSD with no room for a longer one ( M2 drives are about 1.75 inches wide,between 2 and 5 inches long and 1/4 inch thick)

Ask a Question