Win 10 Reverted To Win 8.1

Reaction score
I have DellXPS 8700 which came with win8.1.

I upgraded in July 2016 to windows 10 home, prior to free upgrades ending.

I did make drive image both before and after upgrade.

Unfortunately, it was only on one external hard drive. And it had died!!

I was having trouble with Word 2010. When ever I tried to save any doc, I got message that I did not have permission. It would go thru three clicks and it would finally save [ three clicks offered me a way to change permissions, but it did not work for me].

Yesterday, I was attempting again to resolve this. Suggestion was to go to c:\users\username click on properties / security and 'enable inheritance ' When I did this, it turned out I had 5 users. I tried with two of the names. I got message that it had not worked and would cause inconsistencies. I tried going back, with one and going forward on the other other [there was a link from one person, who said, just click on the warnings and it would resolve]

Then I went to bed.

Today when I started my computer, instead of just starting without a password, It had my name, but required a password. Then it showed me three names, plus guest1. The three were three of five users listed above. ‘Local_hollis-Admin’ would allow me to boot without a password. As would guest.

But the screen looked different. I looked for drive image and realized the only one which had a Win 10 image was dead. Then I did Belarc and found out I was back to Win 8.1. When I used Nirsoft to find product ID for my win 10, I did get the product ID. But I am stuck in Win 8.1.

Does anyone have any idea of how to fix this?

I would like to know what I did that caused the problem, but am more interested in fixing the issue. I am now used to Win10.

Reaction score
Well, if you upgraded during the free period, your computer is recognized on MS servers. That means you do not have to revert to Windows 8.1 to make a clean install. Unfortunately that does not apply to your office package, so it may be lost unless you can somehow recover the key for it. If you do a clean install, just skip the serial# and finish the install. At the end your PC will be activated with Windows 10 HOME. At least it should work that way.....

Reaction score
I would recommend to back up anything of your files that you still want to keep. After that you can delete the whole drive and start over with a fresh Windows 10 install (I hope you have made a installation medium like Flashdrive or DVD??)

Ask a Question