SOLVED Win 10 upgrade lost print driver for Canon Pixma Pro9000

Reaction score
I use the Canon Pixma-Pro9000 printer in my small business where perfect color matching is absolutely required. The printer is in perfect working condition. After upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 the Canon print driver (PT-101 for the high-end Pro Platinum paper) is no longer listed though others are still there, though they do not print color correctly with their matched papers.

My workflow for perfect color reproduction has always been this: scrupulous software matching in Photoshop (CC-2015) with calibration of monitor and using the correct print driver. Photoshop (CC-2015) is set to manage printing, the Pixma Pro9000 printer does no color management, I select the correct print driver for the Pro Platinum paper (PT-101), and the output is a perfect color match.

After installing Win 10 I had a Windows message that no print drivers are required for the Pixma Pro9000. The handful of remaining driver choices are totally unsatisfactory (muddy, off-colors), I've communicated with Canon who tells me the PT-101 driver is probably still there but that Windows 10 cannot communicate with it; also that "There are no drivers available for the Pro9000 that support the Windows 10 operating system. Canon will not be releasing updated drivers for this printer." Choosing another paper is not an option for many reasons; neither is replacing a very expensive printer that worked fine prior to Win 10. In tests with papers that do match one of the remaining print drivers, the colors are still wrong. There is no error code as Win 10 seems to think that everything is working fine.

I've explored every option I can think of and am really stuck. I need help to restore that PT-101 driver. It's hard to go from a perfect workflow in Win 7 to nothing I'd be proud to show in Win 10. Please help me.

Reaction score
Well, I had one more thought and it worked. If anyone else has this problem, mine was solved by finding the Canon driver set for the PIXMA Pro9000 in Windows 8.1 (x64) environment. The driver is version 2.23 named: pro9000vst64223ej.exe and can be found here: www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_pro_series/pixma_pro9000#DriversAndSoftware

Be sure to turn the printer off before installation; when the printer is turned back on again the new driver set will first uninstall whatever is residual from the WIN 10 installation and then install the new set. WIN 8.1 is not WIN 10 but it seems to work fine. I have been running print tests for the past hour and can confirm that the lost ICC codes are now returned and the print colors are correct.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
good work, was just going to suggest trying to remove the printer completely from the devices and printers folder and then uninstall any existing associated software from Control Panel Programs and Features and then go here http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...a_pro_series/pixma_pro9000#DriversAndSoftware
Get the appropriate 32 or 64 bit driver for Windows 8.1 and if necessary install it in compatibility mode (although I don't think that would be necessary).

Good work, glad to hear that you managed to resolve your problem and thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.

Reaction score
good work, was just going to suggest trying to remove the printer completely from the devices and printers folder and then uninstall any existing associated software from Control Panel Programs and Features and then go here http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...a_pro_series/pixma_pro9000#DriversAndSoftware
Get the appropriate 32 or 64 bit driver for Windows 8.1 and if necessary install it in compatibility mode (although I don't think that would be necessary).

Good work, glad to hear that you managed to resolve your problem and thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.

Great to know you would have pointed the way had I not figured it out myself. Surely someone else will have this or a related problem and they'll quickly have a workable answer. Thanks!

Reaction score
Gosh, folks, I've tried this solution repeatedly, and got nowhere. The device is not recognized. I've uninstalled everything, removed the driver, reinstalled. Nothing. Any other suggestions? The windows 8.1 driver is not working.

Reaction score
Bummer! While I was still floundering for my own solution I also worked with a Canon technician. While she didn't offer any solution for the PIXMA Pro 9000 printer I own, she did advise me of their Canon Loyalty Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. Supposedly this program allows a one-time opportunity to purchase a new or refurbished model, at a discounted price. I didn't pursue it because the Win 8.1 drivers installed on my Win 10 machine; but it might have some benefit for you. Good luck and if you go this route please post what you learn.

Reaction score
I found this message board a few minutes ago after a search for a solution as to why my Canon Pro9000 printer no longer works. First, thanks for those who provided an answer. So far, knock on wood, it's working great with those drivers. Secondly, I cannot believe Canon (or is it Window's fault?) treats people like that. If for no other reason, we still are buying ink off them with our older printers, are we not?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
It's a Windows 10 problem. The latest update seems to have deleted a lot of printer drivers from people's computers.

Reaction score
It's a Windows 10 problem. The latest update seems to have deleted a lot of printer drivers from people's computers.
While I haven't had further problems with my printer driver sets (in addition to the Pixma Pro 9000 I also run an old LaserJet 2200D that seems to hold onto its drivers without any intervention), every time there's a Win10 update I get weird computer happenings: e.g. Wacom Intuos tablet loses its drivers, program lockups, lost settings, etc. I've been both PC and Apple from the beginning. Each one makes me crazy though in different ways. I read a recent squib that charged Windows as being its own virus. Yes, it's funny and true and fits iOS too. My productivity goes down every time either one gets an update which seems like it's all too often. Sure am glad for these and other forums!

Reaction score
I did contact Canon as well. The lady there informed me that my 9000 Printer had 'reached the end of it's life cycle' and then informed me that they would NOT be creating a driver for it. Said it was impossible to work with Window's 10. I've been told by someone who's far more PC literate than I am that there should be no reason for it to not work with 10.

I was so angry talking to that woman and her condescending attitude. I informed her I'd never buy another Canon product (I mean that too) to which she sarcastically told me that was my choice. I tell you, I have perfectly good old Canon lens that won't fit after they changed their mount. Now I have a printer that they decided I couldn't use either. I'd be some kind of stupid to spend one more dime with that bunch.

Now, Is this all Canon's fault or does Microsoft share some of the blame as well? I wished I'd never upgraded to Win 10

Reaction score
Thanks to this thread got my Canon Pro9000 working in Win10. It's inexcusable that Cannon's support website doesn't inform users the Win8.1 drivers can be used in Win10. It's plainly a lie to say there are no compatible Win10 drivers. Obviously Canon is purposely trying to shorten the life cycle of expensive serviceable hardware by dropping driver support in an attempt to increase sales. While I still very much like my Pro9000, after this episode I won't purchase another Canon product. In my change to Win10 I also have an older Canon flatbed scanner that suffered the same fate: no Cannon driver support after Vista. So I bought an Epson. I've got the same plan for when my Canon printer has to go - No more Canon.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for getting my getting my Pixma Pro 9000 working in Windows 10. On the July 29 deadline I upgraded and I am happy to report, your solution worked beautifully

Well, I had one more thought and it worked. If anyone else has this problem, mine was solved by finding the Canon driver set for the PIXMA Pro9000 in Windows 8.1 (x64) environment. The driver is version 2.23 named: pro9000vst64223ej.exe and can be found here: www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_pro_series/pixma_pro9000#DriversAndSoftware

Be sure to turn the printer off before installation; when the printer is turned back on again the new driver set will first uninstall whatever is residual from the WIN 10 installation and then install the new set. WIN 8.1 is not WIN 10 but it seems to work fine. I have been running print tests for the past hour and can confirm that the lost ICC codes are now returned and the print colors are correct.

Reaction score
The driver for my Pixma 340 also flew the coop when I upgraded to Win 10. I have had expert persons trying to help but to no avail. Apparently it goes through the motions but when we try to locate it on my computer it is nowhere to be found.
Is there anyone out there who could help me or point ME in the direction where to download the proper driver? Would the above solution work for my model of printer that worked for Pixma Pro9000?

Reaction score
Print drivers are unique to the configuration of both the printer and paper, so a driver for the Pro9000 won't work. Have you tried to get the print drivers for your Pixma 340 for Win8--kinda parallel to what worked for me with the Pro9000--and then follow the installation process outlined above? The idea here is that changing the operating system to Win10 replaces the Canon drivers with their own generic ones which doesn't work. So you have to REinstall the oem drivers which removes the Win10 ones and replaces them with the correct ones for your specific printer in Win8. Can't say if that will work with your particular Canon printer, but that's the gist of this thread so far that the Win8 drivers for the Pixma Pro9000 do work in the Win10 environment. And so maybe your Pixma 340 drivers for Win8 will work in Win10 too. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Last edited:

pwd

Reaction score

pwd

Reaction score
Thanks. This worked for me. I had emailed Canon support who replied

"We are sorry, but your device PIXMA Pro 9000 is not compatible with your Windows 10 (64-bit) operating system and therefore there are no drivers available.

You can try contacting Microsoft about the possibility of virtualizing your operating system, where it could be then possible to use the scanner."

Not very helpful!

Ask a Question