Win 10 v1511 absolutely everything fails

Reaction score
Acer Aspire with 32gb emmc drive. Nothing and I mean nothing can get around the size problem. Nothing has let me access the memory on a USB drive or SD card. Totally locked in to using the tiny C drive. Can't change the install new apps to any other drive (greyed out button).

Media creation tool is a zippity-O - it won't let me write to anything other than the C-drive.

I've uninstalled Office 2015 and every other app I can find, still not enough memory.

KB3124260 - windows update won't find it and install it.

I've been through the failed installation +10 times now.

MS not on the ball with this one.

Reaction score
I just looked up these range of machines (Switch series ? ore the One 10) on Acer's site and I am not surprised that updates and such just don't work. It is as if they did not intend the machine to be updated with new W10 releases. I am a bit surprised that W10 even runs properly with 2GB RAM. The web site is not clear about the internal storage. If it is a M2 type SSD then theoretically one could replace it IF THERE IS SPACE inside with a bigger one...but M2 drives are a bit expensive for the quoted price of the device.

I think you will need Acer support for this. I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is to download a new setup from Acer for w10 1511 which will be pre-installed by them.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
How much free space do you have remaining on your drive partition containing your current install?
Do you currently have a Windows.OLD folder on the C drive consuming a considerable amount of space?
Do you currently have a $WINDOWS.~BT folder on the C drive consuming a considerable amount of space?
Can you copy them off to your SD card, and then perhaps delete them if they exist, keeping the option to put them back later if need be.
Those two folders are what is required in the event you wish to roll back your install to your previous OS or build.

The upgrade will generate a new Windows.OLD folder and as a consequence requires a good bit of free space in order to do so.

My suggestion would be, if you can free up enough disk space, to avoid using the media creation tool to perform the in-place upgrade, as that will just generate a new $WINDOWS.~BT folder again consuming much needed free space.
Instead, obtain the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Put that on your SD card also and then double click the ISO to mount it and run setup.exe from the virtual drive that it creates to perform the in-place upgrade.

Ask a Question