Win 10 wont install

Reaction score
Update from Windows 7 Home Premium. on HP laptop. Clicked on lets get started. Loaded files with one restart. When actual install began and "sit back and relax" was on screen, moved to approx. 6%. Computer turned off and did not come on again. After one hour - nothing, no sign of life. I restarted computer and process started reinstating Windows 7. That was completed without a hitch.
Tried to restart update. Although blue welcome window opened and I started the process, after the preliminary circle of dots, the screen reverted to Desktop. No window asking for specific time to start update/update now appeared.
How can I start the process again as several times the desktop just reappeared before above mentioned now/later choice?

Reaction score
Assuming your Win 7 has SP1 (service pack 1) installed. Yes ?

If yes, try this way ..............
1. Download the media Creation Toll. Make sure you pick the correct bit version.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/soft...?OCID=reserve_r_PostReserve_MediaCreationTool

2. Run the Tool.
Select Create installation media for another PC option. That creates a Win 10 ISO.

3. Right click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation will begin. This method allows you to keep your files, settings and apps. You can choose to "keep nothing".
This method does not require product key.

I used the same method to install my 2 laptops.

Reaction score
Thank you David. The installation got as far as first restart 26% or close to. My "relax" session ended as laptop remained off. Maybe it will come overnight? Any more suggestions? Should I turn on computer as usual or wait? For how long? No fault code or similar just off!

Reaction score
My "relax" session ended as laptop remained off.
Is it possible that you have power settings set to turn off display after x number minutes or hours ?
If so, press any key should bring it back to life.

If that is not it, then I have no idea why.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Personally, I'm beginning to think that there may be a few HP machines, especially a couple laptops that either will not upgrade to Windows 10, or at least will not upgrade without some serious and comprehensive work arounds in advance of attempting the upgrade.

Third party security suites removed in advance
Third party VPN software removed in advance
All peripherals except keyboard, monitor and mouse disconnected in advance. Especially wireless dongles supporting wireless keyboards and or wireless network adapters.
Inspection of hard disk partitions in advance for available space and size, especially the system reserved partition and UEFI partition.
Inspection of BIOS and make sure in advance that the boot order is configured properly along with the disk controller settings not using an unnecessary RAID setting.

And probably a few more that I'll think of later.

Ask a Question