Installed Windows 10. Desktop wont stop flashing.

LKW

Reaction score
So I just installed windows 10. No problems installing or logging on. However, after logging on, the desktop keeps flashing and I cant click on any icons. The only thing I can do is use CTRL + ALT + DEL.

I've noticed similiar posts saying the same thing that they have NORTON INTERNET Security installed which I have.

Help would really be appreciated.​

Reaction score
So I just installed windows 10. No problems installing or logging on. However, after logging on, the desktop keeps flashing and I cant click on any icons. The only thing I can do is use CTRL + ALT + DEL.

I've noticed similiar posts saying the same thing that they have NORTON INTERNET Security installed which I have.

Help would really be appreciated.​
I'm having the same issue, hope someone has a solution to this problem

LKW

Reaction score
I have solved my problem. I had to reboot in SAFE MODE and then uninstall Norton Internet Security. Restarted the computer then flashing has ceased. Reinstalled Norton Internet Security. Everything now working. Restarted computer again to double check. Everything ok! :D

Reaction score
I have solved my problem. I had to reboot in SAFE MODE and then uninstall Norton Internet Security. Restarted the computer then flashing has ceased. Reinstalled Norton Internet Security. Everything now working. Restarted computer again to double check. Everything ok! :D
Hey there. I have. The same problem ln my samsung notebook, I'm new to all this but after installing 10 my issue is the same. What does. Reboot in safe mode mean lol sorry yeah I know very little. I'm on the phone now waiting for the last hour for belp

Reaction score
Hi, I've the same problem, screen flashing, computer totally unresponsive to the keyboard, I even have to switch it off at the desktop box. The only settings I can get on are on the bios system , and I'm not sure if I can reboot from there to rectify the problem.

Reaction score
I can't take credit for this but it is a fix that worked for me. Someone by the user name of NualaMa at PC Adviser suggested this and it worked for me and others. I felt like I needed to pass this on because I know your anguish. One thing is, though, you will have to figure out how to boot into safe mode, which took me a while to figure out. Google it if you need to know how to do that. Anyhow here's NualaMa's suggestion which I cut and paste. Good luck!

"There is a simple fix

Open task manager ... under file (top left) "Run new task" ... type msconfig (yes it is hard to type as screen blinks, but it can be done) ... In the new box that opens (it may be behind the task manager box) go to Service Tab .... Scroll until you find 2 tasks that need to be stopped ... (1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support .... (2) Windows Error Report Service.... Disable these by unchecking .... Click Apply ... Click OK ... If you are prompted to restart, then restart computer .....

This is the main issue causing the screen to blink . .. Ironic that the items causing the errors are the solutions designed to report errors to microsoft"

Reaction score
I can't take credit for this but it is a fix that worked for me. Someone by the user name of NualaMa at PC Adviser suggested this and it worked for me and others. I felt like I needed to pass this on because I know your anguish. One thing is, though, you will have to figure out how to boot into safe mode, which took me a while to figure out. Google it if you need to know how to do that. Anyhow here's NualaMa's suggestion which I cut and paste. Good luck!

"There is a simple fix

Open task manager ... under file (top left) "Run new task" ... type msconfig (yes it is hard to type as screen blinks, but it can be done) ... In the new box that opens (it may be behind the task manager box) go to Service Tab .... Scroll until you find 2 tasks that need to be stopped ... (1) Problem Reports and Solution Control Panel Support .... (2) Windows Error Report Service.... Disable these by unchecking .... Click Apply ... Click OK ... If you are prompted to restart, then restart computer .....

This is the main issue causing the screen to blink . .. Ironic that the items causing the errors are the solutions designed to report errors to microsoft"

Reaction score
Hi, I have just followed the thread from jnsscottjr and it works like a dream, thanks mate, it helps if you have a tablet or phone that is online so that you can Google how to get into task master and also to make sure which is the shift key (its not necessarily printed onto the key).
To find how to reboot in safe mode on an windows 8 or 8.1 open an internet window and go to '5 ways to boot into safe mode in windows 8.1' on the 7tutorials page and just follow the instructions.
Worked a treat so far
Not sure if I like the look of windows 10 yet though.

Reaction score
Instead of trying to type msconfig between screen flashes, when you get to File > Run new task, press the Browse button. now you can scroll down the folder to find the msconfig app and double click it. Much easier.

Reaction score

"There is a simple fix

Thank you so much for posting. Works like a charm.

Reaction score

"There is a simple fix

hello thanks for this solution it fixed my computer , worked a treat worked 100 percent

Reaction score
I too am having this same problem. I spent all day here reading everything I could and watching all the U-Tube videos. No, for me it had nothing to do with my firewall. It had nothing to do with the task manager and disabling 2 service tabs, nor by opening the computer in safe mode. Nor did I have to revert back to the awful Windows version that we had before upgrading to Windows 10, (which I love). For me, it was all about switching the user from me to my husband. Although he does not (yet) have the apps I use, they can all easily be installed under his name. We obviously need to figure out what causes this problem and how to fix it. But until then, for the sake of preserving sanity, all you need to do is to add another user to your computer and sign in under the new identity.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello SandraDee and welcome to the forum.
Thanks for sharing your solution.
Interesting that a corrupt user profile produced the issue but, I'm glad to hear that you managed to resolve your problem by using a new user profile.
Excellent job and thanks again for the information.
Regards
Randy

Reaction score

"There is a simple fix

After try "n" versions of solution (explorer.exe suspending on and on), this tip woks fine. Thank You!!! (Hugs from Brazil!)

Reaction score
I was given a 4-year-old HP Notebook by a client that came with Win10 Home that had a blinking screen after having a L-R row of red dots at the very top of the screen. I was able to Upgrade to Win11 Home but still had the issue, acted like something was loose inside. I opened it up and found the only looseness was with some screws, snugged all of them up and reduced the problem quite a bit. Next is to check the battery [gel-pack type] as the occasional occurrence goes away after unplugging and re-plugging the charger.

Ask a Question