WIN 11 upgrade and BIOS update

Reaction score
Win 11 downloaded to my PC without asking me. It now says I need to restart for it to install, so I've held off doing that for now.
Today without thinking I downloaded my Dell BIOS upgrade and other updates that I've been putting off for a long time.
It's also telling me it needs a Restart.
With both of these updates waiting for me to restart will they affect each other when I do so.

Reaction score
Maybe. I would want to install the Bios update on its own and restart after before downloading/installing anything else.

Reaction score
Used to be a BIOS update was done outside of Windows like from a floppy disk but on newer ones like my 5-yr-old ASUS Desktop there is a Windows-based programs to do it, sounds like your Dell is like that and it is possible for something not to work right. The main thing is that Windows [or other Operating System] reads the BIOS at startup to know what it has to work with. When software is involved one never knows what is affected until it's too late. Since both the BIOS and Windows wants to restart I'd say maybe but if Windows update started but hasn't finished something could go wrong.

Reaction score
The win 11 upgrade has already downloaded to my PC and I've paused updates and it now just says resume updates. So I'm hoping that the Win 11 upgrade won't begin its install until I click on resume updates on another day and when I do the first restart only the Dell BIOS will install itself. Then I can restart again on another day and the win 11 will attempt the upgrade.
The Dell BIOS upgrade download was done through the Dell SupportAssist program and just says restart is required.
Thank you everyone for your advice I'm rather nervous about doing this, I should have thought it through first.

Reaction score
I would appreciate it if someone can confirm that by my pausing windows updates it will stop the new Windows 11 from installing when I Restart the PC. Thank You.

Reaction score
Maybe I should reword that. I would appreciate it if someone can confirm that by my pausing windows updates that should stop the new Windows 11 from installing when I Restart the PC.
Or is there another way to do this? Thanks

Reaction score
If the Windows 11 upgrade didn't finish downloading, it shouldn't install (but I've never paused a version upgrade). You do have to reboot for the bios to update, and you CAN NOT interrupt that. That should happen before Windows even boots.

Reaction score
Thank you BigFeet for that information.
I proceeded to upgrade the BIOS and it worked OK, I think. Although I had no idea how to tell when it would be finished.
I did note however that when the system restarted a message saying IPC Port failed to connect, can't find file, so I just clicked OK and the message went away. I had a quick search for a fix for this but it looked too complicated.
Tomorrow when I have more time I plan on installing the Win 11 upgrade. I see I'm only allowed 10 days for a a roll back to Win 10 and then found that there's command to change this. The command is
DISM/Online/Set-OSUninstallWindow/Value:60
Does this work?
Thanks

Reaction score
Yes DISM/Online/Set-OSUninstallWindow/Value:60 works (any value from 10 to 60 will work and will set the allowable period for a rollback from 10 days to 60days.

Reaction score
Yes DISM/Online/Set-OSUninstallWindow/Value:60 works (any value from 10 to 60 will work and will set the allowable period for a rollback from 10 days to 60days.
Taking a disk image (with something like Acronis or the Free Macrium Reflect) is the safest and most relable way to give yourself a way back from a Windows 11 upgrade. TBH I would always advise against an upgrade-in-place, it should work for eeveryone but experience shows that it often leaves behind little glitches and niggles. A clean install is always the most reliable way to a stable system.

Reaction score
Agreed.
I would suggest that, before you proceed any further, you downland a copy of Macrium -free
Run it and make a complete image of what you have at the moment. Copy it to a safe place - preferably and external device.
Then, if anything goes awry, at worst you can return to the starting point.
And again, as ubuysa posts, the image does not expire. You can reinstate Windows 10 at any time.

Ask a Question