Error when trying to upgrade to Windows 10

Reaction score
When trying to upgrade windows 7 Ultimate to windows 10 I get the following error code : 0XC1900101-0X30018. What does that mean????

Reaction score
Thanks for the info ;however, after performing those steps the upgrade still failed. Again, Thanks for the assistance

Reaction score
I am trying to update by downloading the windows 10 program on the internet through the CNET link.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I tried this download also and get the same error code. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a DVD and do a fresh install. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
If you have the Win7 sticker on the computer or elsewhere get the MCT/Media Creation Tool downloaded, run it to get the download of the latest available Version and Build of Win10, either the .iso file used to create the bootable DVD or the Bootable USB Thumb drive [8GB up to 32GB], it's free. You could choose to install from that site or download for use on a different computer which will give you an archive copy and may not have near the bloatware as provided on an OEM computer.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I tried this download also and get the same error code. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy a DVD and do a fresh install. Thanks for your help.
I didn't say download it.....I said click the "Update Now" button. It will update you to windows 10 with out you physically having to do anything.

My next thought; Do you know exactly how to "boot" from a media source?

Reaction score
I do not know how to boot from a media source. I have run the link you provided at least 4 times. Each time I get the same error message. I have not tried the .iso file method. I will buy a thumb drive and try that method.

Reaction score
I just ran the Mediation Tool 2 more times. The first time I selected the option to Update This computer. The second time I selected the option to place the update on a thumb drive. Both options ran for about 1.5 hours and then a message " Undoing changes made to your computer" appeared.

Then another message was displayed "The installation failed in the FIRST BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE Operation." I have no idea what this message means or how to correct the problem.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I do not know how to boot from a media source
Running the link is not booting from. When your PC was working....you would turn it on and the OS would pop up....that's booting from your HDD by default. To boot from some other media source you have to change your boot order. To do that you have to change the boot order in the BIOS.

OR, if a modern enough, at POST beep, start tapping the F12 key until you get the boot menu window. This bypass's the need to enter into the BIOS and make said changes. Then just select the device you want to boot from. In your case the USB.

FYI: If I say anything that you might take offense to.....I'm sorry and that's not my intention. But we seem to be going in circles and the common dominator is the "BOOT" procedure.

Reaction score
I just ran the Mediation Tool 2 more times. The first time I selected the option to Update This computer. The second time I selected the option to place the update on a thumb drive. Both options ran for about 1.5 hours and then a message " Undoing changes made to your computer" appeared.

Then another message was displayed "The installation failed in the FIRST BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE Operation." I have no idea what this message means or how to correct the problem.
If you ever resolved this please let me know. I'm trying to update Windows 10 from Version 1909 to Version 20H2 and I get the same error. I have tried everything from running troubleshooter, to repairing the hard drive to disabling all non-MS programs and doing a clean boot to installing via updater to using media creation tool - NOTHING works. I'm running Windows on a HP Z 230 SFF workstation.

Ask a Question