SOLVED Different errors when trying to install windows

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm having some trouble installing windows 10 on an asus x200ca. Linux installs perfectly, so I think the drive isn't completely ruined but I always get some error on the final step of the windows installation. When I download the iso from the actual windows page, it gives me the error "setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file", so I tried another iso and that one gives the error "Windows could not set the offline locale information. Error code 0x80FF0000". I've already ran sfc /scannow and chkdsk through the windows installation usb (btw, I've always used windows mediacreationtool or rufus to make bootable usb), and everything seems fine. Any idea why I keep having these problems and how it can be fixed?
Thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Have you checked with ASUS to make sure that your computer is running the latest firmware (BIOS) for that specific system?
In researching your second error
Windows could not set the offline locale information. Error code 0x80FF0000
It seems that, that error has been around for a long time (going back to the Vista days) and seems to be related to either the installation media you are using or the target hard drive that you are trying to install on.
Your first error
setup cannot continue due to a corrupted installation file
Pretty much speaks for itself, but the two might be related as........
During the installation some files are necessarily written to the hard disk and cleaned up later.
IF the drive has a problem then the two errors might be related.

It's unclear whether you are attempting an upgrade or a custom clean install.
IF you are doing a clean install have you attempted to use either
Diskpart to completely clean the drive removing all existing data and partitions and attempt the install into the unallocated space on the cleaned drive?
OR
Other suitable partition management software to perform the same task.

AS any such action would completely wipe the drive it's critical that you backup all your critical data and I would strongly recommend a full disk image to an external resource before proceeding
OR
IF practical, as an alternative, obtain a second hard drive (a new one would be optimal) and use that as the installation target, removing the current drive from the diagnostic equation, keeping its' current contents (if any) safe..

Reaction score
I can't really afford to buy a new hard drive right now, I was hoping it could be fixed.
I tried a clean install and yes, I completely cleaned the drive. Right now it has linux because i needed an OS in the meanwhile but windows isnt cooperating.
It seems that, that error has been around for a long time (going back to the Vista days) and seems to be related to either the installation media you are using or the target hard drive that you are trying to install on.
What's weird is that the installation media is the official one, made with windows tool

Reaction score
Could be an issue with the usb drive also. You can also access the hard drives SMART data in Linux (you'll have to google how because it's different depending on what distro you have). That way you can get an idea if the hdd is bad. I have a bad hard drive in an old laptop that won't install Windows at all (I even get a SMART error on boot). Oddly enough, linux installs just fine. It acts wonky sometimes, and I'm sure the drive will fail soon, but it is odd.

Reaction score
Yes, you created the USB thumb drive to install, well the first thing windows install does is write the install files to disk then it installs from your hard drive. So it sounds to me like you need a new hard drive your present one is probably dropping sectors along with bits of your install.

I don't know much about lunix but I'm betting it a much smaller installation and the install actually runs from the install media ie DVD or USB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you managed to resolve your issue.
Thanks for the follow-up info.
Much appreciated.
Regards
Randy

Ask a Question