Win10 freezes for many minutes on start ip

Reaction score
Windows 10 ver 22H2
Windows start up issue

I might get a week or 10 days where every start-up on PC is normal. Then I get a start-up where Windows icon (window frame) appears, and instead of then finishing start up it simply holds at that point.
If I hard shut down – restart is the same.,

If I leave it, PC does eventually start up to desktop OK (with no errors)…… but can stall for a very long time (10 mins )
I may get this 2 or 3 times in a row – then it's back to normal start-up without issue.

As normal startup happens most of time, suggests that drivers are OK, or would be permanent fault

Any log I can look at for a clue? or can I ‘reset/rebuild’ without losing my programs & data.

Reaction score
Any log I can look at for a clue? or can I ‘reset/rebuild’ without losing my programs & data.
Might look in Event Viewer for clues. Yes, you usually can reset [there's a couple of ways] but it's best to be sure you first have saved a copy of any data you don't want to lose [which you should have anyway] as there's no guarantee something won't be lost, programs can be re-installed.

Reaction score
I have seen this a few times on laptops with aging hard drives. Usually once the machine has started it then appears to run normally. The real and permanent fix has been to clone the drive to an SSD.
Not saying there are not other fixes which could be cheaper and faster to do but SSDs are so cheap nowadays.

Reaction score
Depending on your setup, it could be
1. Downloading updates in the background.
2. Loading too many startup programs
3. A third party anti-virus hogging your memory, or disk, or cpu

I have seen all of the above on computers I have worked on.

Ask a Question