Load Browser/Restore Win10 from Imaged Backup

Reaction score
Is there a way to load an application (Chrome browser) directly from an imaged backup of C: drive? Or even better, to restore an image of (an unbootable) Win10 entirely?

Background:
My laptop previously couldn’t boot-up due to a failed Win10 auto-update. After various unsuccessful repair, I gave up and re-installed Win10 from scratch. Before re-installing, I took an image of my old system (i.e. bad copy with boot failure).

Recently, I tried to login to an old Gmail account, but it doesn’t recognize me anymore (browser/IP combination?) and prompted me with a security question I set 10+ years ago… I can’t remember the answer since it’s never been requested in recent years.

As my IP should be the same/similar, I’m hoping if I use the same old Chrome version, Gmail will recognize me again.

So is there a way to load the old Chrome directly from the imaged backup?

Also now that I’ve re-installed Win10 and resolved the boot error, is there a way to the restore my old system into the new Win10? i.e. a Frankenstein version where the OS is the new Win10, but with my old files, applications etc. directly restored/ported in.

Many thanks for your help, really desperate as I have important stuff in the old Gmail.

Reaction score
Google has announced it will be deleting old/unused accounts, haven't checked mine yet but didn't use it for much anyway.

Most installed Windows-based programs can't be easily moved or run without being reinstalled as they create the program's folders, copy support files to Windows, create the icons and make Registry entries so Windows knows how to run them. Extracting from backups can be problematic, depends upon the program used.

There are a few Portable browsers available on the Internet, come as a .zip format, just decompress to a folder then run the .exe file. But don't know if one of those can access/import the data from a backup.

Ask a Question