SOLVED Win 10 browsers locking direct downloads to ~ 20KB/s

Reaction score
So I just clean installed win 10 and noticed that all my browsers are locking direct downloads to around 20kb/s. I have a 4mb line and manage to have applications like steam achieve 440kb/s down speeds.

-Yes all win 10 updates are done.
- I stopped that peer to peer stuff.
-Its varies from 10 to 20ish kB/s.

Only my browsers down speeds are being affected. If anyone knows why or what I should check please advise me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So I just clean installed win 10 and noticed that all my browsers are locking downloads to around 20kb/s. I have a 4mb line and manage to have applications like steam achieve 440kb/s down speeds.

-Yes all win 10 updates are done.
- I stopped that peer to peer stuff.
-Its varies from 10 to 20ish kB/s.

Only my browsers down speeds are being affected. If anyone knows why or what I should check please advise me.
i dont see speed test here ?

Reaction score
ok you never stated speedtest how come you stating that now ?
I am not sure how speedtest is relevant I did state that all other programs have full access to my line and my browsers are only locking my direct download speed. Can we please not send this thread done the wrong route.

My website are loading fast, my streaming is fine and fast. Only the downloading part of my browsers seems affected.

Reaction score
okay for a start I'm here to try to help you first you said that you stated something that you did not then you tell me what I say it's irrelevant I don't see the point of me helping you sorry brother

Reaction score
okay for a start I'm here to try to help you first you time you said that you stated something that you did not do then you tell me what I say it's irrelevant I don't see the point of me helping you sorry brother
Your anger is ill valued as you derailed my thread due to not reading my main post, the speed of my line was never in question as I clearly stated I was able to gain max speed on all other programs and so my response is valid. Sorry you feel wronged by me trying to keep this thread on a specific issue.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
OK...I'm a bit confused here....."Konerned" what is your actual issue/problem? Maybe with a fresh set of eyes we can see what is going on.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Konerned,

Could you confirm how you are connected to Internet please?
  • Router via Ethernet WiFi?
  • Model of Router?
  • Are you using a Range Extender for network? If yes, what model?
  • Etcetera ...

So far as trouble shooting goes:
  • Turn off Router and/or modem and leave off for at least 30 seconds then reboot.
  • Likewise for any range extender if using one.
  • Press Winkey + X | then press M or with mouse select Device manager
    • Expand tree and right click on Network Adapters, NIC etcetera, and check for updates of drivers
  • If one of the browsers you are using is Chrome a possible solution there is to:
    • Via File Explorer navigate to here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application
    • Right click on chrome.exe | select Properties
    • Open the Shortcut tab
    • Replace the entry there with
      • C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" -no-sandbox
    • Next open the Compatability tab
    • Checkmark "Run this program in compatibility mode"
    • Select Windows XP (Service Pack 3)

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Is there a antivirus program doing deep packet inspection on incoming data through the browser?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The OP seems to be saying that his speed is fine when tested against SpeedTest or similar, as well as when streaming content.
BUT
That his downloads through his browser(s) seems to be restricted.
My personal experience when downloading files using a browser seems to depend on the resources ability to deliver.
The file can only be retrieved at the speed that the source (server) is able to deliver it.
Some of the larger resources with vast CDNs (Content Delivery Networks) spanning the globe seem to be reasonably fast. Depending on the demand that it is incurring

Reaction score
And it is ONLY the Browsers doing DIRECT downloads the OP says. That points to something on the PC, either he is accidentally got his download directory on a floppy disk! or there is some program checking each individual packet before allowing the browser to ACK.

I guess another possibility is that the TCP/IP windows is tiny, like only one packet but that should affect all transfers. Or that every packet is being split as the MTU is too small. Again all transfers.

Reaction score
that was the reason I asked to run a speed test it would give us the pocket-size losses it would give us the download Speed and the upload speed from that we could try to figure something out because the information wasn't enough that's why previously I asked him to do a speed test

Reaction score
I thought that Speedtest.net ran an independent program to do the speed test. I know some of them use HTML and some use Java so I am happy to be wrong on this.

Reaction score
While thinking further about this I ran speedtest myself. Got my normal 100 Mbs down dropping to 75 Mbps after a few seconds as usual. But my normal 10 Mbps UP was only at about 1Mbps instead of the 10Mbps it should be.

I am on a cable connection with IIRC 8 channels down and 4 up and I wonder if that could be the problem. I will reboot my modem and router tonight and test again in the morning.

Reaction score
Speedtest.net is only a measuring stick and completely irrelevant to what the OP was asking. If you go back and read the original post, he's having issues only download direct files with the browser (he said applications were achieving normal speed). I haven't a clue why the browser would be limiting the download speed.

And gijoetech, maybe you shouldn't criticize someone if you have an issue understanding.

Reaction score
Hi guys sorry for the last response I went to sleep. I will answer the question in point form so I make sure I dont miss anything.

- I am using an ethernet cable.
- I downloaded the latest drivers from msi for my on board adapter.
- Its called a fon router its pretty average its provided by my isp but rated to handle well above my little 4mb line.
- I use Avira free edition for my antivirus, I enabled almost all its systems and use its smart choice option for real time scanning.
- When I had win 7 I had no issues with any of the servers I am direct downloading from on my browsers. When I use DAP I noticed my speed goes to 80-100 on those downloads in win 10.

And yes speed test is a simple speed testing tool and doesn't play any part in my issue as I am getting my full speed. Its just my browser based direct downloads which are being capped. But here for those of you need the 3 pieces of data from speed test 18ms, 3.94mb, 0.39 mb...

Compatibility mode has not helped, sadly.

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Konerned,

Thanks for the updates.

It ought not be the case, but I am curious whether something has reset Scaling Heuristics on your system.

• Press Winkey + X
  • Press A or with mouse select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • In the console that opens type or copy & paste the following:
netsh interface tcp show global
  • Press Enter key to execute above command
In the same console please run a second command:​
  • Type or copy & paste the following command:
netsh interface tcp show heuristics
  • Press Enter key to execute the above command
Please post the results of both commands to the forum. If you are familiar with taking a snapshot of what you see feel free to upload an image to forum to save typing those results.

It helps to have all information but, the critical three key bits of data for me are:
  • From the first command, what is the status of "Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level"?
  • From the second command, what is the status of "Windows Scaling Heuristics"?
  • Also from second command, what is the status of "Profile Type Public"?

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I agree with Trouble. If you say it is a browser problem and other downloads are fine, I would ask which browsers and what type of data/media is involved?

In addition to what Trouble mentions, the destination of the download can make a difference. If you were downloading to a normal flash drive it might be quite a bit slower than downloading to a hard drive.

I always like to watch Task Manager to see what might be happening.

Ask a Question