SOLVED Win10 identifying non present disks

Reaction score
More of a report than needing help. Windows 10.0 14393 build 14393
I run system image instead of backups. I have three formatted drives on the same physical disk. H:/ I:/ J:/
J:/ is too small for image so I can select H:/ or I:/.
System image runs fine to H:/ and finishes correctly.
Start restore system image and system says image is on K:/ . .
Not prepared to risk restore so ran system image again on disk I:/:
Tried restore again and system says image is on K;/
Now I have two current images so both are correct so I restore to K:/ even though I did not have a K:/
Restore completes correctly and system has run OK for 3 days.
Anybody with an idea of what happened.

Reaction score
Have you recently changed or uninstalled any programs.

What program are you using for creating system images. Windows native Back up and Restore or other. Does Computer Management > "Disk management" show partitions H: I: and J: ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
When you do a System Reimage you can search for the image. Maybe the size of the partition on which it is located would give you a clue.

It also might be related to what you are booting to. If you are not booting into your normal install, some drive letters may change.

Reaction score
Thanks Norton and Saltgrass.
Plot thickens.
1.Using Win 10 system image selected from backup screen. Some advise selecting from File History screen
1.disk management reports H is 97.9gb I is 139gb J is 47.8 gb So only H and I are large enough.
2.Just realised I have another portable HDD with drives K,M,N,L. with various data on each.
3. Previously tried and failed to create system image on K and M but failed on K . M completed the system image
4.So tried formatting KNML, but K will not complete format and reports so. I cannot access it at all. NML are OK.
5.So somehow a failed format on K is retained in system and shows up in next try at system image even though a different physical disk is used.
6. K reports as Healthyy/System/Active in disk management but will not format or expand or contract or change label or anything.
7. Will try rearranging KMNL on disk and accidently and hopefully fix it.

Reaction score
If a partition shows the System designation, it is your boot partition. Do not mess with it yet.

Could you take a picture of your Disk Management window with the snipping tool and attach? We need to see the descriptions so widen the window so those can be read.

Reaction score
It appears to me that the letter K has somehow been applied to your Primary partition, which is normally assigned the letter C: Don't try formatting "K" it may be your healthy Boot Primary partition.
Do as Saltgrass suggested above.

Reaction score
To clarify All drives in question are on portable units. No conflict with system SSD.
I gave up trying to diagnose.
I accessed through Disk Management and deleted all 4 drives to consolidate into one drive X
I formatted X and all was well even though when part of X was called K it would not format
I then split X equally into KLMN
Ran system image on both K and L to completion.
End of story. Thankyou both Norton and Saltgrass for your assistance.
Aloha

Ask a Question