SOLVED Win10 sleep problem

Reaction score
I am really fed up with win10 to the point I am thinking of going back to win7.
Have several issues:
1) there is this weird "sleep" that there is no signal to monitor but fans in the case are spinning ! ! do not like this at all. And there is other sleep where there is no signal to monitor and fans are not spinning as it should be.
1) With win7 and DVI cables when I put computer to sleep it got monitor to sleep too. With win10 and HDMI cable when I put computer to sleep it goes to sleep but the monitor stays on forever until I turn it off manually. This is the same monitor two computers.
I do not like hybrid windows at all ! there is so much crap in there I will never even use that nothing work as it should. I want DESKTOP no touchscreen, no tablet, no phone !
Thank you all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I use Surface Pro 4 and thus W10 and sympathize with problem # 1 in your note as it has happened to me so many times that I have stopped counting. From my perspective it seems that if my SP4 is on for more than say 5 hours non stop, the device will go to sleep even if I am using it at the time it goes to sleep. To remediate, I shut down the device, every 3-4 hours, remove the power cord and then turn it on again 15-30 minutes later. The worst occurrence was when by mistake I closed the monitor on the keyboard as I was going from one desk to another. That caused the SP4 to go to sleep and I was unable to "revive" it. Not knowing what to do, I removed the power cord, let the power drain (I knew the battery was very low already) and let the device be overnight. Next time I turned it on, it came back to life. --- I consider the SP4 a superior device and I love it, EXCEPT for this nagging sleeping error that makes me sometimes think SP4 and W10 are highly inferior products.

Reaction score
Silly queston, But, I have to ask, have you set up the sleep mode? Mine is working as designed.
Left click Windows start orb> settings>system>.Power and sleep, choose default settings for Monitor and HD.
Personally I never turn off the HD. Stopping and starting the machine by using the power button causes undue stress on the power supply transformer ground wall insulation, resulting in premature failure of the PS. There's also thermal stresses on the IC's and PCB's from the heating cooling cycles. Plug in boards including memory, video cards can exhibit thermal creep and cause intermittent connection problems.

How many times have you had a light bulb burned out when turned ON (seldom) they burn out when you turn them ON. PC's are no different. When the smoke get out you have a problem.

Reaction score
Thank you Norton,
Yes I have set the sleep - 15 min for monitor (never worked).
- 30 min for computer ( cuts the signal to monitor but the monitor stays on plus fans are blowing in the case, I do not want fans blowing dirt to my case 24/7).
You speaking of HD means hard drive ? Hard drive is spinning when system needs it do not have a problem there and it is set "never off"
I agree and knew the bulb point, that is why I want to use sleep mode instead the off mode, that is the WHOLE POINT of my post, do not want to power off computer except when away for more than 10 hours. Monitor I want never off, only sleep. There should not be any heat generated when nobody is using computer and computer is in the sleep mode.
" Personally I never turn off the HD" - HD or computer ? ?
How did you set "Sleep button action" button ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Left click Windows start orb> Settings>System>.Power and sleep, choose your desired settings for monitor or PC,

Reaction score
Turned out, my computer was on in the mornings because update was scheduled at 3:30. Why is it programmed not to go back to sleep after updates ? this means that if I accidentally leave my computer in sleep before leaving on vacation it will be on my entire vacation regardless what time the update is scheduled. This never happened in my win7. Beside why my 30 min sleep setting is not working in the middle of the night ?
My question to you Norton was: on what is set your "Sleep button action" button ?

Reaction score
Screen is set for sleep after 20 mins; computer never. If I happen to be creating a system disk image, I will change the screen sleep time to 1 hour, I don't like any HD interruptions when creating a disk image. Sometimes I will disable my internet connection to, that avoids pop ups and notifications of updates.

My PC will go back into sleep mode after updates. If your going away on vacation, turn your PC Off. why do you need updates if it's not being used.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes when I go on vacation I am not only turning it off I also unplug it from the wall.
Buried in sleep settings is "Sleep button action" button, how should it be set ?

Ask a Question