SOLVED Windows 10 Associated Account Changed. Can No Longer Log In

Reaction score
My dad uses a HP Pavilion with Windows 10 installed. He signs on using a Microsoft account not a local one. When we last turned on his computer we found that the email associated with the only account on the computer had changed from his email to a similar but different one that he did not own. I have confirmed that this other email is associated with an existing account but how do I now access my Dads computer as it will not accept any of his passwords and there is no way we can find out the password for someone elses account. The account the computer was originally associated with was (e-mail address removed) but it is now (e-mail address removed).

How would I go about fixing this and how has ther computer become associated with someone elses account while offline?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
How would I go about fixing this
First of all.... do you have a backup of all the critical data on the computer?
Do you have a recent disk image from which you can recover?
I ask, because while there are a couple things you can try, none are absolutely bullet-proof and can in a worse case scenario make things worse instead of better.

The first thing that I would try is a system restore to a point in time prior to the problem first occurring
At the sign-in screen hold the shift key on you keyboard while using the power icon at the bottom to choose restart.
Navigate to the Troubleshooting -> Advance Troubleshoot screen that provides a System Restore option.

Screen3.JPG

See if that provides any relief from your problem.

Reaction score

I ask, because while there are a couple things you can try, none are absolutely bullet-proof and can in a worse case scenario make things worse instead of better.

The first thing that I would try is a system restore to a point in time prior to the problem first occurring
At the sign-in screen hold the shift key on you keyboard while using the power icon at the bottom to choose restart.
Navigate to the Troubleshooting -> Advance Troubleshoot screen that provides a System Restore option.

View attachment 3781

Thanks for the help. I will give this a go and report bback the results

Reaction score

View attachment 3781

Starting in safe mode changed nothing. We got on to system restore however we noticed there that the email it was associated with was still wrong when we were trying to log in. We did manage to get into system restore but the password that worked to get into that failed to work when we tried logging in with it. The system restore worked but im still at a loss as to how this happened to begin with.

Thanks for your help

Ask a Question