Windows 10 Boot Up Slower than Windows 8.1

Reaction score
I upgraded my one-year old Dell Inspiron 7537 laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. All went very well. Win10 is a nice improvement and all of my apps, programs, and drivers run fine. The only downside - Win10 boots slower than my Win8.1 installation, probably about 50% slower. I have the absolute minimum number of apps/programs loading at startup. Would a clean install of Win10 help this issue?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the forums. If you view the start-up tab in Task Manager (clicking "more details" at the bottom, if required), does it show any high-impact items?

Reaction score
For my startup items, only OneDrive is listed as high impact. Panda Security is medium, Dell Quickset is low, and Synaptics Touchpad is low. Actually booting Win10 from a cold start is about the same as Win8.1. It's the restart or reboot that appears to take long.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's good to know that cold boots are quick :). On restarting, is it the time taken to shut down that is longer - as the initial boot part of both restart/cold boot should be the same.

If that is the case, perhaps there's a lingering application that really slows things down when Windows is trying to close all apps for a shutdown/restart.

Reaction score
I love it how people automatically thinks it's related to something other than Windows 10 - which it's not. Windows 10 is much slower than it's processor. Why I do not know, but it's a fact. And that people accept it is another story...

Reaction score
Have you checked the date of the last posting recently?? this Thread is dead for 18 months as it is the other you posted in....

Ask a Question