Windows 10 BOOT LOOP Issue

Reaction score
The issue:

I had to downgrade Windows 10 to 8 on an offline computer. As I installed all the software... one of them required the internet... so, I connected it so that it could get itself the software it needed. At one point, the computer was forced into a restart. After it came back up, the PC became stuck in a boot loop.

I managed to successfully upgrade/install 8.1 from a 16 GB USB flash drive (same language version, so the "Windows" folder became "Windows.OLD") that was formatted with the Windows 8.1 ISO (using Rufus). So, all my documents & software apps are STILL THERE, just under this new "Windows.OLD" folder. I have, since, moved all the non-app files back into the "Windows" folder & continued installing apps. The last effort I made was RE-upgrading back up to Windows 10. It was fine upon ONE restart, but after that... same boot loop.

Currently, am trying to access files through EXPLORER via the USB boot drive's "Repair Your Computer" link (which leads to the WinRE). I'm using DaRT to access EXLORER.

The computer is 64-bit ASUS Essentio Series 6870 CF / Intel Core i7 3770 (3.40 GHz) / 16 GB DDR3 w/ an NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 2GB Graphics Card.

Am frustrated here. Can ANYONE please help me get out of this boot loop hell? I've been working on this computer for weeks now.

I am not sure what the boot order should be now. Any ideas on what the BIOS boot settings should be (if that's what it is)? Been trying to figure this out for days now. I think this is where the issue lies.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Is this of any use?
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s/cc46ab8f-25a5-4da4-bea9-8b6a1cdf3297?auth=1

I had to downgrade Windows 10 to 8 on an offline computer.

Did W10 have any issues before downgrading to W8.1? My experience is that any issues present in current system will create more issues when attempting to up/down grade. Any chance you have a backup / clone of the original W10? If you do, you could reinstall that, fix all problems in that and then up/down grade.

Another option is to move all of your files to safety and then do a clean install.

Reaction score
Hi Vanna,

is this of any use to you?:

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/re-install-w10-and-keep-your-files-app-data-intact.15825/

Copy and backup any files you need to an external medium (USB stick/another partition/DVD) before starting!. ;););)

I tried all the options available in the WinRE. It did nothing. I could not reset or do much of anything save for going through the CMD prompt (which is how I managed to get into the first Windows 10 to downgrade & install another version... 8... followed by 8.1, when that one did the same thing).

I have all my files and apps on external drives. When I look through the DaRT screen using EXPLORER, I can see ALL my files and apps still intact as I had initially placed them. I just cannot BOOT UP from the Windows 10 that is IN the actual PC's HD. Since my latest Rufus-printed USB stick is NOT a "Go To Windows", it is not set up for booting from this stick. Would like to INSTALL it IN the PC and have it boot up from THERE.

How can I do this?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is this of any use?
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s/cc46ab8f-25a5-4da4-bea9-8b6a1cdf3297?auth=1

Did W10 have any issues before downgrading to W8.1? My experience is that any issues present in current system will create more issues when attempting to up/down grade. Any chance you have a backup / clone of the original W10? If you do, you could reinstall that, fix all problems in that and then up/down grade.

Another option is to move all of your files to safety and then do a clean install.

It was creating USER ACCOUNTS that did not need to be there. Before that, it was running FINE. I placed ALL my desktop folders onto a newly-created USER ACCOUNT and then Windows forced a restart and DELETED EVERYTHING in there. I had to recover everything and place them in external HDs.

THEN....

"I had to downgrade Windows 10 to 8 on an offline computer. As I installed all the software... one of them required the Internet... so, I connected it so that it could get itself the software it needed. At one point, the computer was forced into a restart. After it came back up, the PC became stuck in a boot loop."

Reaction score
Hi Vanna,

did you try "Reset via the on-board tool" like I suggest in my link to you?, you can select to keep files if you want to.

reset options.jpg

The link again for you:

https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/re-install-w10-and-keep-your-files-app-data-intact.15825/ :):):)

Ask a Question