Windows 10 reboot loop

Reaction score
I have an Asus x540s notebook laptop. It came with windows 10. It did a windows update and became stuck in a windows reboot loop. I have tried every possible suggestion I have found on the internet. I have tried a repair disk for which the disk states that the computer is a newer version than the repair disk can support. and the repair disk company is stating there is no knew repair version as of yet. I have tried downloading the ISO disk from Microsoft but I can't seem to get it to fix the problem. according to the cmd prompt Ver = 10.0.14393. It may be I am not sure how to use the iso disk for my computer and unlike previous disks that were computer version specific - the download from microsoft is a single download for almost all versions.

Then what do I do. I can not get past this screen to windows.
upload_2017-9-15_14-30-20.jpeg

It always reboots to this screen. I have tried resetting both with and without saving personal files. (stops part way through and says no changes have been made because there was a problem), restoring system ( say there is no available restore point) image recovery (state it has no system image), start up repair (stops part way through and says no changes have been made because there was a problem) I have changed the UEFI boot settings disabling the auto boot and telling it to boot from disk drive where iso boot disk is located. and I always end up on this page unable to exit and move to windows. I have tried every cmd prompt suggestion and some have worked in helping me to have more options and some have given me errors saying that this command doesn't exist, etc. I have run out of options for fixing the problem. I'm still stuck on this screen.

when you turn on the computer it automatically tries to repair the start up and then goes to this screen. I have tried so many many things the last 5 days I can't remember everything I have tried. But if you ask me - I'll tell you if I have tried it or not.

where do I go from here?
Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You need to build your own installation media to boot your system. Go here.....
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Get a copy of the ISO and save it to your computer read the subsection titled Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC (click to show more or less information)
You can use the media creation tool to write to either a DVD or a USB ThumbDrive but I generally use
ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download (simply install it and then right click the ISO and choose Open with and select ImgBurn from the context menu)
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/ (just run the program and configure it according to your system needs)

Rufus.JPG

Use that installation media to boot the system click the Repair Your Computer link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options.
Sometimes those options work better when attempted from the installation media.

RepairYourComputer.png

Failing all troubleshooting steps you can still use the installation media to choose the "Install now" button to perform a custom clean install of Windows as a last resort.
Hopefully you have backups of all your critical data.

Reaction score
Thanks had to do a custom clean install, it would not let me repair ultimately had to wipe C: from cmd prompt. - however now I when I try to reinstall windows 10 on all drive 0 partition 1-4 (3) is the primary I'm getting this message on all sections though:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk of the GPT partition style.
Widows cannot be installed to this disk. This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

Legacy is turned on.

not sure what to do next. (drivers? maybe and which ones?)
or delete and rebuild partitions?

Last edited:
Reaction score
You may also need to get rid of all the critical partitions on the drive and not just the C: partition reformatted.

There are 4 which consist of the EFI system partition, Recovery, MSR, and OS.. You can do this during the install operation. If you wanted to return the system to Factory configuration, you would need to use some recovery media from ASUS or a Win 10 recovery drive. The ASUS media OS version should be what was on the system when you got it, but those things will usually clean the drive if booted in UEFI mode.

As Trouble mentions, you need to stay in the UEFI boot configuration. The message happens because you are trying to install Legacy on a GPT configured drive. You did download the x64 bit version?

Your system doesn't seem to be upgrading to the next build. Hopefully a clean install will take care of that unless there is some problem.

Reaction score
Got the msg before I changed it to legacy. I only changed it to legacy because I found a post that said to do so.
I will change it back.

NO I did not download the 64 bit Computer is 32 bit home laptop. My small business is cheap can't afford good computers or IT.

Attempted to create rufus portible - missing ISO file.
upload_2017-9-16_8-7-14.png

upload_2017-9-16_8-8-55.png

These are the create media installation files burned to my flashdrive from Microsoft
Where do I find the ISO file or am I looking for a different ISO file to create the rufus bootible flash drive?

Once I get this rufus drive completed. What then? On windows set up it shows drive 0 partition 1 as system 245 MB of 260 free, Drive 0 partition 2 as MSR 16 MB of 16MB free, Drive 0 Partition 3 as Primary 464.9 GB of 465 GB free. Drive 0 Partition 4 as Recovery with 161 MB of 499 MB free. Won't let me reinstall windows 10 because of the BIos issue. Can't repair, can't reset, or restore.

and now we are getting into areas I have never traveled. So please walk me through this step by step because this is brand new to me. I am deeper in the computer than I have ever been and although I have used reinstallation disks before to reinstall operating systems that have crashed as a result of the windows 10 upgrade, I have never had the problems I have had with this computer. It keeps blocking everything I try to do. So this will be a learning experience, but you will have to walk me through it step by step.

Maybe I won't hate windows 10 so much after I have done this - But ... but with all the computer problems we personally have had with windows 10 - not liking this much. We are a small business and can't afford IT.

Thanks guys for your patience and Helping to give me a crash course on IT.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Where do I find the ISO file or am I looking for a different ISO file to create the rufus bootible flash drive?
I provided the link above to download the ISO directly from Microsoft so as to make sure you have the latest version from which to create the installation media.
Just download the ISO as an ISO and save it to a location on your computer.

Reaction score
The 32 bit Win 10 version is not UEFI capable. I will check your laptop to see if it is capable of x64. Most systems, especially ones with Win 10, are.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Agreed, a new 32 bit system is pretty rare. Haven't seen one myself.

Reaction score
I provided the link above to download the ISO directly from Microsoft so as to make sure you have the latest version from which to create the installation media.
Just download the ISO as an ISO and save it to a location on your computer.

I already down loaded the link to my computer and asked it to burn for another computer. The first attempt to do this was the wrong version for my computer. The second attempt allowed me to get to the install windows page. I was told by a customer of mine who knows more about computers than I to down load the 32 bit. Maybe I need to go back and re=-down load using the 32 or 64 choice (so that both are covered) home version? Maybe that will resolve my bios issue?

I am unable to download to the lap top I'm working on - nothing is working I can get to bios and repair screens and with the iso drive the install windows screen. I can get to the cmd prompt window also. so I'm having to work from my desk top put everything on a flashdrive and then transfer it to the lap top.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It looks to me like you've used the media creation tool to create the installation media, which is fine (normally).
Whether or not it is the correct version for your particular computer I cannot guess.
It's important as to which version 32 or 64 bit you download and in some very rare circumstances, for some reason (unknown to me) the single language version is also needed. I always assumed that, that had something to do with geography and since I am in the U.S. I always just get the normal English Language version.

The issue you seem to be having if I understand some of your earlier posts is that your computer currently has a GPT partition structure which is quite common on newer UEFI based BIOS system.
AND
Different from a standard (somewhat older) standard MBR partition structure associated with a Legacy BIOS system.

NOW..... and this is just my own personal experience and may not even be applicable anymore, as I never use the Media Creation Tool to construct installation media, but.....
I have noticed in the past that while it seems to have no issue creating a bootable DVD that will boot and install on both UEFI as well as Legacy systems.....
It doesn't seem to always create a bootable USB ThumbDrive that will work on both types of systems and that's because a UEFI system requires the USB media be on a 32bit formatted ThumbDrive and a Legacy system requires that the USB media be on an NTFS formatted ThumbDrive.
AND
That is why I use Rufus and create my own media, and download the ISO only and save it to a folder on the computer I am using to create the media on.
I keep two separate ThumbDrives just for that purpose. One to boot and install on Legacy systems and the other to boot and install on UEFI systems.

I think that, that problem is sorted by the media creation tool if you are using it on the computer that you intend to work on but not when you are downloading the ISO for a different computer.

Reaction score
It's important as to which version 32 or 64 bit you download and in some very rare circumstances, for some reason (unknown to me) the single language version is also needed.
I always use just the Win 10 version, since it has the Pro and Home included. The single language Home version does not work for me but in another country, it might, but I assume when you create the media the choices will be appropriate for your location.

I checked the computer and it is x64, although it does have three different processors available. Putting msinfo32.exe in a run box will tell you what the system is. I assume since it was not set to Legacy that it was installed using the x64 version of the OS.

The other thing to keep in mind is the recently downloaded media will be the latest build and not the one which was on the system.

Reaction score
Redownloading windows ISO using the 32/64 option got me a little further. Now I know with your help that windows 10 has to be a 64 bit machine. HOwever, now I have this error message.

Windows detected that the EFI system partition was formatted as NTFS. Format the EFI system partition as FAT32, and restart the installation.

Do I just delete 4 partitions and restart or do I have to reformat any or all or what do I do next?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do I just delete 4 partitions and restart or do I have to reformat any or all or what do I do next?
Assuming that there is nothing on the partitions that you need or care about then ......
Yes.
Delete all partitions and install in the unallocated space which should be the entire drive. Partitions will be reconstructed as needed by the installation.
Making sure that you have reset your BIOS to UEFI and enabled secure boot if that is an option.

Reaction score
Assuming that there is nothing on the partitions that you need or care about then ......
Yes.
Delete all partitions and install in the unallocated space which should be the entire drive. Partitions will be reconstructed as needed by the installation.
Making sure that you have reset your BIOS to UEFI and enabled secure boot if that is an option.

Thankyou - I had already set up bios. This seems to be working.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
This seems to be working
Hope so..... keep us posted.
AND
Don't panic when it's over, because it may not be.
The first thing you should do after things settle down a bit is manually check Windows Updates for anything that might be pending
AND
Then you may have some driver issues although Windows 10 does a pretty good job with drivers for the most part.
Occasionally it won't find something or may install a driver that is less than optimal, so check Device Manager when you get a chance.

Reaction score
Hope so..... keep us posted.
AND
Don't panic when it's over, because it may not be.
The first thing you should do after things settle down a bit is manually check Windows Updates for anything that might be pending
AND
Then you may have some driver issues although Windows 10 does a pretty good job with drivers for the most part.
Occasionally it won't find something or may install a driver that is less than optimal, so check Device Manager when you get a chance.

You got it! Thank you!

Reaction score
The 32 bit Win 10 version is not UEFI capable. I will check your laptop to see if it is capable of x64. Most systems, especially ones with Win 10, are.
Completely factually inaccurate... booting to a x86 version of Windows on a device with UEFI simply requires ensuring the EFI bootfile is properly named for x86 (a simple 5s google search would have showed this)

Ask a Question