Windows 10 Bootable USB (Wont Boot)

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a bootable copy of Windows 10 education from my University on a USB Flash Drive. I am 100% certain that it works because I have just used it 10 minutes ago to re-format my laptop with. However, when i plug it into my desktop it trys to boot and just gives me "Disk read error occured - Press Ctrl + Alt + Del".

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (Rev 1.2) - I know its old, I am planning on upgrading it in the near future!

As far as I am aware this motherboard does not have secure boot (if it does I can not find it in the BIOS), I have checked for Legacy USB and it is enabled.

Any help would be appreciated

Reaction score
Take a look at the flash drive on a working machine and see if any files were written to when you used it to fix your laptop.

Reaction score
Take a look at the flash drive on a working machine and see if any files were written to when you used it to fix your laptop.

Nope, nothing has been written to it, my laptop still recognises it as a bootable windows 10 device and the setup runs fine.

EDIT: Even my desktop recognises it as a windows 10 usb drive, it just wont boot from it

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is it possible that the USB drive was configured to boot a UEFI / GPT machine and as a consequence is Fat32 you should be able to see the "file type" if you look in File Explorer in details view.
Most legacy machines will expect an NTFS bootable installation media.

Reaction score
You might try changing the USB port on the Desktop. The fact it has a dual bios I never really understood but you have that situation under control?

Sorry I don't know anything about AMD processors but the system is x64 capable?

Have you checked for any Bios updates?

I am attaching a snip of an Install media Flash Drive just so you can compare. I may have suggested the Flash drive had been corrupted after being used on the laptop but you seem to say it is still booting to the Install Window.

Install Media.JPG

Reaction score
The drive is indeed formatted as NTFS and the only file from the screenshot that I do not have is the recovery.txt (but i know the USB works because I used it to install windows 10 on my laptop).

Indeed the system is x64 capable and I would not imagine there is a BIOS update for this board, its some years old now but 990fx is still pretty top end for an AMD chipset as far as I understand.

I will be changing to an intel system in the next couple of months but was wanting a reinstall to tide me over until then.

I have tried it in multiple different USB ports on my system.

It does seem to be reading it as a mass storage device though and not a bootable usb because if I disable usb mass storage capability it will boot straight into windows without the disk read error which is weird!

Ask a Question