Windows 10 Catastrophic Failure To Launch.

Reaction score
o_OI am just looking for my flack jacket for when people realise just what's been removed this W10 was deff built for the digital age so I don't wanna hear any moaning from the younger folk

Lol. Too true. I'm not too worried about that though. I just want to download the thing(or know when i'll be able to download it) that has supposedly been released and give it a spin. I know its likely to be a bit rough around the edges as most Microsoft stuff at release usually is. But there is no guarantee i'll be updating my main system for it as I have some very specific work software that must stay running no matter what.

And frankly, given that its a year to update for free and the system is on the backend of its lifecycle, i'll probably end up buying a new machine before I use those licenses to ensure it lasts for as long as possible. I've also been looking to upgrade to Ultra HD for a while but haven't found a monitor or TV as a monitor that really hit that sweet spot. They all seem to have some sort of deficiencies and only of late has 60Hz become standard on the newest models.

Reaction score
Perhaps Microsoft should hire you so solve all it's woes. Too bad you have to wait a day, maybe they should just send you some cheese with that whine. I've worked in the industry for many years. What they're doing and how they're doing it is pretty awesome and wise. It's not simply a matter of a few minutes of developer time to "throw up a UI" when you're dealing with something of this scale (and using amazon and apple phone isn't an equivalent comparison - amazon deals in 'transactional processing,' which is way easier than distributing an operating system to billions of users, and iPhone code is way smaller than W10's os).

Reaction score
OK, so I D/Led it using this Microsoft media creator tool, did the USB installer instead of the ISO, saved me the burning time to DVD.

I assume the published key that major geeks posted on the download page for this tool is just the usual public installer key, I'm D/Ling the Pro version ( I have 8.1 pro) I assume this key is "generic", as the installer key was for the 8.1.1 ISO installer I had a install key for when going from 8 to 8.1.1, after I did the install using that "generic public key" for 8.1.1, I still had to use my retail W8 Pro key to get it re activated.

So I'm wondering anyone that already had used a "generic" install key found that your retail W8 key still worked to activate W10?. Otherwise its no use, as MS hasn't sent out any "retail" keys to those of us that have the W8 retail keys. Thing I need to know is if anybody has installed using a stand alone installer, and if their W8 key worked or not to "activate" after installing, OR if a retail W8 key works out the box, to install and activate W10.

I'm not going to do a install right off as it is, I'll let the windows updater do its thing (again) later and see what that ends up doing before I revert to the USB installer. I already had 4 fail attempts since last night with the updater this morning.

Yeah I know I could just try it myself, but like I said I'm still going to give the normal windows updater a go first tonight, that one when it goes WILL install and activate as it is, I just figured somebody out there has already tried it :).

Reaction score
Yo Salamander, don' know how true it is, but they seem to say IF you use that d/Led installer (USB or burned ISO) to do a "clean" install, that any w7 or w8 retail keys "won't work" to activate the installed OS, in other words, they seem to say you "need" to update via windows update to get a future install/activate key, that I assume shows up in the screen that shows your activation key now, and than you can after that use the D/Led installer. So I guess I'll "have" to do the updater thing to get a good w10 key. (not a public installer key) cause my retail W8 pro key won't cut it.

Kinda sucks, if so, cause that would mean ONLY on the machine you installed using the updater first will the USB installer you created work and get activated with the generated key, well hell that's no different than if I just do a image backup after installing and use that to re install/recover.

oh well............ who knows what's next :)

Reaction score
Fully installed now and seems to be working. Keeping in mind that I installed over the top of an existing installation. It hasn't notified me about any activation using the ISO that I can see. It more than likely used the one from the previous installation.

Reaction score
Fully installed now and seems to be working. Keeping in mind that I installed over the top of an existing installation. It hasn't notified me about any activation using the ISO that I can see. It more than likely used the one from the previous installation.

OK, check the "activation key" on your system now after installing, and see if it's the same key or it changed.

I will of course do a install "over" my installed W8.1.1 Pro also, have no intentions of loosing a crap load of programs. Its what I liked about MS when I went from 7 to 8, that they made it so ALL your stuff was retained.

I'll let the updater do its thing tonight and see what happens, if it doesn't work I'll go ahead and try the installer. (had a problem with the updater going from 8.1 to 8.1.1 too and had to find a ISO)

BTW what key did you use to start the installer?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well I have another question, opened windows updater, it shows 7 failed attempts with this W10 Pro in view updates, it never did D/L, I ran a manual check for updates, that comes back as "no updates are available" and no updates showing up????

so now I can't even try to do the update via windows updater.

Anybody else run itno this?

Reaction score
OK, check the "activation key" on your system now after installing, and see if it's the same key or it changed.

Um how? I'm relatively sure its activated properly or it would be telling me to activate it.

I will of course do a install "over" my installed W8.1.1 Pro also, have no intentions of loosing a crap load of programs. Its what I liked about MS when I went from 7 to 8, that they made it so ALL your stuff was retained.

It seems to have retained everything.. but the computer I put it on wasn't exactly loaded with stuff, just the essentials like Office, Visual Studio, etc.

BTW what key did you use to start the installer?

It didn't ask for any. It just went ahead and installed over the top of what was there. Pretty sure the key is only needed if doing a fresh install.

Reaction score
It didn't ask for any. It just went ahead and installed over the top of what was there. Pretty sure the key is only needed if doing a fresh install.

Hmm OK, thanks for the info, cause looks like I may end up having to go ahead and use the installer USB myself, I can't see any W10 updates anymore as it is.

edit
after doing some more research, I think the deal with windows updates showing no updates now is cause of using that creation tool, I think when you use that tool, it d/l the same files to that $windows~BT folder in C: as the updater would, and after you burn the files to USB or ISO they disappear, but windows feels you d/l w10. So maybe that's why it didn't need any key to install, I dono, just what I kinda figure. We'll see tomorrow, if no change than that's what it must be.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hmm OK, thanks for the info, cause looks like I may end up having to go ahead and use the installer USB myself, I can't see any W10 updates anymore as it is.

edit
after doing some more research, I think the deal with windows updates showing no updates now is cause of using that creation tool, I think when you use that tool, it d/l the same files to that $windows~BT folder in C: as the updater would, and after you burn the files to USB or ISO they disappear, but windows feels you d/l w10. So maybe that's why it didn't need any key to install, I dono, just what I kinda figure. We'll see tomorrow, if no change than that's what it must be.

Not sure why you're bothering to burn the files to a USB, I didn't. If you have the drive space, it'll simply install from the files it downloaded to the hard drive after the download completes. I did have to clear out some files to make some room, but after that I just hit refresh and it kept on trucking.

Reaction score
Not sure why you're bothering to burn the files to a USB, I didn't. If you have the drive space, it'll simply install from the files it downloaded to the hard drive after the download completes. I did have to clear out some files to make some room, but after that I just hit refresh and it kept on trucking.

cause the thing asked to either do a USB or ISO, (I want a stand alone installer)

Anyway I just tried to boot from that USB and it won't boot, funny thing is it will go into the setup if I just run it in windows, I started it just to see what it would do. So now I think I'll re try and do the ISO and burn it to DVD. I may just recover my Image I made last night and see what happens with the updates.

Reaction score
Well... Microsoft screws up again. Today is supposedly 'Launch Day' for Windows 10. So where is it? Nowhere. It doesn't seem to exist yet. I'm looking at my Surface Pro 3 which I've readied for Windows 10 and not a thing has changed. It still has that reserve windows 10 icon. It still is running 8.1. There is absolutely no indication to the user that anything has changed between yesterday and today(even if the files are not coming until later). As such, the only thing that can be surmised is Microsoft has failed to launch the operating system they've spent billions of dollars and three years to make.

Now, 'supposedly'... there is some type of timetable for when people actually start receiving this vaporware. So where is that? Why is my computer not telling me Windows 10 is in release and exactly when I'm slotted to receive this fantasy product? Am I supposed to name this Windows WAIT Day? Maybe Windows WAIT Week if I'm particularly unlucky. Its like going through a ******* blackout. You know the power is coming back on at some point, but the power company aint telling when that'll be! Needless to say this is a clusterf*** of monumental proportions by Redmond. Stop expecting me to waste my time by sitting around waiting for you to get off your dead asses and get me the upgrade to the product I bought, particularly when you KNOW exactly when you're going to be sending it to me.. but don't deem me worthy of knowing when exactly that is.

Cause seriously... this bush league 90's crap just makes Microsoft look exactly like people say... a dinosaur.

I just purchased a Surface Pro 3 ( arrived today 30 July 2015 ), followed all setup procedures and then manually checked for further updates and Windows Update now displaying below image:

Windows10SurfacePro3 Updating.PNG

Reaction score
Such drama! Phrase's like " catastrophic failure " can land you a job writing for ABC Evening News. My god man!

Last night I turned on my win8.1 pro at 9:00PM and 30 minutes later was upgrading to 10. Still holding off on the SP3 for now.

Reaction score
Such drama! Phrase's like " catastrophic failure " can land you a job writing for ABC Evening News. My god man!

Last night I turned on my win8.1 pro at 9:00PM and 30 minutes later was upgrading to 10. Still holding off on the SP3 for now.

Well.. good thing I found the workaround using that ISO link. If I didn't, I'd probably still be waiting :/.

Reaction score
same here matey I have held off upgrading my main Win 7Pro machine but did go ahead and let the update loose on my cheap tablet and too be honest its faster most unexpected for a £50 tablet :)

Ask a Question