Windows 10 conversion

Reaction score
I have a Windows 10 disk that I want to convert to a USB stick. I've tried using Rufus and Imgburn. I may be missing a step or two, can anyone assist me in this? Thank you.

Reaction score
Yes makes better sense you'll get the latest version of Windows 10 will save you a bunch of downloading updates and it far more reliable than CD/DVD ISO's
I'm now setting up a new HP Desktop [SFF] for our Animal Shelter and it came from Best Buy with Version 1703 Build 15063.138. I'll be doing an identical second one when it gets here tomorrow. Both will be followed by updating before putting into use [replacing 2 Win7 computers].

Reaction score
I have a spare PC that hasn't been updated since the Anniversary Update.
Plugged it in tonight and connected it to the internet to get it ready for the Fall Update. It started immediately downloading the latest update, 2017-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4041676)

Windows 10 cumulative updates have greatly improved.

Reaction score
I think first that if the USB stick is to be bootable that has to be accomplished before Copying the full contents of the DVD to it. If it doesn't need to be bootable [usable only on running Windows for Upgrading] then just doing the mentioned Copy would suffice.
Some how-to pages:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+create+bootable+usb&t=hw&ia=web
I'm trying to boot from a USB because the OS is non-operative so I have no other way to boot into the computer, plus this laptop doesn't have a CD ROM drive.

Reaction score
In that case I'd go with the MCT/Media Creation Tool, download it then run it to create the bootable USB drive. I've had no problems with this:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-media-creation-tool-create-installation-media-upgrade

I've also copied the .iso file to a different drive, usually USB, then in File Explorer right-click and Mount then run setup.exe.

Now if a person was wanting to install Win10 on a USB drive and boot directly to it there may be issues, notably that Windows usually doesn't like to be installed on and run from removable media. I haven't tried it with a computer with the eSATA port.

Some versions of Linux can be installed on removable USB drives or run booted to a LiveDVD.

Ask a Question