Windows 10 Encryption

Reaction score
Hi
I need to encrypt my windows 10 device as it is required to work on my new project in my new postdoc position.
Is there anyone who knows how to encrypte a windows 10 device?
Thanks
Ece

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Hi all, I've encrypted my work computer via bitlocker on a Windows 10 PC - we're now being told we need AES 256 Bit Encryption but we've read so many different things; some saying the Windows 10 bitlocker defaults to 128 bit and other saying it defaults to 256 bit. Does anyone have any idea which is it?
Thanks in advance.
Jodie

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
WOW.... you doing side work for the NSA?
You configured it using the local group policy editor on the Windows 10 System here.....
Right click the start button and choose run and type
gpedit.msc
hit enter
go to
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> BitLocker Drive Encryption
When you enable "Choose drive encryption method and cipher strength" you'll have an opportunity to bump it up to 256 bit AES
See pic below.....

Bitlocker256.JPG

Reaction score
WOW.... you doing side work for the NSA?
You configured it using the local group policy editor on the Windows 10 System here.....
Right click the start button and choose run and type
gpedit.msc
hit enter
go to
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> BitLocker Drive Encryption
When you enable "Choose drive encryption method and cipher strength" you'll have an opportunity to bump it up to 256 bit AES
See pic below.....

View attachment 1477
We've already encrypted our drives - will it have defaulted to AES 128 bit? If it defaults to 128 bit, we'll need to decrypt, re-set the bit selection and then re-encrypt, right?

Ask a Question