Windows 10 GUI glitches

Reaction score
So I upgraded to 10 from 7sp2 and it was a smooth transition. I like 10 and it had the added bonus of suddenly supporting my USB 3.0 front mounted port where 7 straight up ignored anything plugged into the port. But I ran into a noticeable graphical issue for the UI. When the computer is on at length 18hrs+ it can randomly start black-outs on the start "home" and icon bars. Text will be omitted from web browser pages and windows will randomly become invisible. It still responds to input but the interface becomes illegible. I was able to snag a screenshot and marked areas with red arrows. Anyone else come across this problem? I tried to google it but got few leads. I'd like it if some one had a solution that didn't involve a full restart to remedy this glitch. I've ran multiple AV programs and all comeback clean.
PS I noticed that it seems more likely to occur while I am websurfing and it happens regardless of the web browser used (ff, chrome, or edge)
windows10startmenueerror.png

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Hi have you made sure your graphic drivers are up to date, and that yours are from the OS of your laptop/computer and not Microsoft ones

Reaction score
As ht says.

When you are surfing,the graphics chip is probably working a little harder. Try and intensive graphic progam, if you have one on your computer or, even better, a game, and see if you get the same problem.
A red herring, possibly, but your graphics chip may be overheating. Laptop or stationery? If the latter, you could have a clean up of the cooling fan on the card??

Reaction score
The computer specs are as follows. It is a GAMING DESKTOP

-16gb Vengeance Ram
-Samsung 128gb SSD for the OS to launch and run on exclusively
-Seagate 1Tb HDD for games to install on.
- AMD FX-8350 eight core Black edition 4gb not overclocked
-1100w PSU
-GTX-660 w/ 2.1 gddr5 on-board memory w/latest as to date of this reply driver updates
-Case is a PHENOM PHANTOM with two 120mm, two 90mm, and a 150mm fan mounted and running on the case.
It can breathe and I keep it up on the desk w/ all sides free from obstructions. Over heating has never been an issue
-Currently running Windows 10 64-bit Home after "upgrading" from 7 home premium 64-bit.

I built it to be a gaming computer thus tried to give it a large resource pool to draw from and I don't think it's a hardware issue as these errors never occurred in Windows 7 regardless of windows and tabs open. Anti-Virus is also up to date as of 10/20.

As ht says.

When you are surfing,the graphics chip is probably working a little harder. Try and intensive graphic progam, if you have one on your computer or, even better, a game, and see if you get the same problem.
A red herring, possibly, but your graphics chip may be overheating. Laptop or stationery? If the latter, you could have a clean up of the cooling fan on the card??

Reaction score
I have no answer for you, but seems to me a logical area to start looking for causes would be the excessive length of time using your computer.

It's a gaming desktop and in the enthusiast realm it's not unheard of to leave them on for over a week straight at times as people like to have their rigs download games, install up-dates, and pick up exactly where they left off on browsers and on 3rd party game clients (Steam, Origin, GOG Galaxy, ect) which cannot update/download/install while the desktop is in Sleep mode or Off.

GUI errors did not occur in 7 leading me to think it's an problem on 10's end.

Reaction score
I think it could be that your BIOS may need an update. Go to the boards web site and see if an update is available and if so look at the details which may indicate a Windows 10 compatibility fix. I had problems with a Gigabyte board which would not even download Windows 10 and that was the problem,

Reaction score
I think it could be that your BIOS may need an update. Go to the boards web site and see if an update is available and if so look at the details which may indicate a Windows 10 compatibility fix. I had problems with a Gigabyte board which would not even download Windows 10 and that was the problem,
Ha, thanks mine just also happens to be a Gigabyte durable board! I'll check it out.
thanks

Ask a Question