Windows 10 GUI

Reaction score
Hello,

New to this forum. Been searching like crazy but can't seem to find an answer to this.
I installed Windows 10 when it came out, worked fine. After a while GUI started showing strange behavior. Search boxes not showing, clickable link texts in the UI displaying only partially. The start menu looks like the attached image. The lock screen is just f***** up (sorry), not showing user images or text-boxes, showing buttons in the wrong place when I hover over them.
Functionality seems okay though, it's not a problem to log in, or to use the start menu using keyboard commands. You just don't see what you're doing.
Some windows 10 apps are also sdimply not working. I can't show images on the standard image viewer. It shows up, but it's all black. I can't open the Dropbox app at all, or Evernote.
I recently had to upgrade my graphics card, but I had these issues before changing. Any thoughts? I suspect there's an issue with the compatibility of my current hardware, could that be it?

My specs (stationary desktop):
Board: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE
Intel Core i7-3820 CPU
16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
(Screen is an ASUS VG248 that seems to bee working fine.)

Attachments

• start_menu.jpg
    start_menu.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 768
Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Olov and welcome to the forum.
As far as your hardware is concerned it looks to be more than adequate, so.....
I would suspect that to be the issue, at least not at first, of course there is always a chance that you need to upgrade some or all of your system drivers, so I would check with ASUS' support page and see if they have anything in the way of new or updated drivers for your mainboard ( BIOS, Chipset, storage controllers, etc.,).
Try using the native System File Checker to see if their are any issue.
Right click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) in the elevated command prompt window type.....
sfc /scannow
hit enter
See if that produces any information regarding the system files.
Additionally, manually check for Windows Updates and make sure that is up to date.
Check your update history to see if you have any updates that are persistently failing to install.
Open the Store App and manually check for updates there as well.

Reaction score
Cheers @Trouble.
I ran sfc and got a log of 28'000 lines. Should I search for something in particular?
Also I checked my BIOS version and I'll try to update that. Also, checking my drivers I seem to be using generic drivers for my screen and for my motherboard. I'll get to work on that to begin with. Thanks for now, I'll let you know.

Reaction score
That was interesting. Everything is now in tip-top condition. I have no missed updates. However it dosn't solve the problem.
I don't seem to find anywhere to check updates in the app-store, but that might be because it doesn't render like it should.
I'm open to suggestions, what do I check next?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't remember you indicating the results of the System File Checker.
Did it show that you had or did not have "integrity violations" or words to that effect.

Reaction score
Well, it threw something like 32'500 rows of log file. And there are errors in there, I just cant tell what's what. I'll attach the filterlist. I searched the big log file for "integrity" and didn't ind anything. It did however show lots of [DIRSD OWNER WARNING], "Warning - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory" and some "[SR] Cannot repair member file".
I'm sorry, I don't understand much of this? I suppose it's a bad idea to post the intire file on a public forum...

Attachments

• filterlist.jpg
    filterlist.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 747

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try this
Right click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and type
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
hit enter
let it finish
reboot
then run
sfc /scannow again

Reaction score
Ok, did that. Now had a report at the prompt saying sfc found corrupt files but was able to repair them. Restarted again after that. No change.
We are clearly repairing something, but I'm not sure what. CBS-log looks a lot healthier this time. I now have zero warnings. But the GUI is still close to unusable.

Reaction score
"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." That must be pretty good, at least. Startup is running smoother than it has in a while (might be BIOS update), and loading time in Windows have decreased.
It has no bearing on my issue, however. UI is still pretty messed up. Most desktop apps work just fine, they always have. Apps in the new UI (what do you call that psychedelic touch based tile thing?) are working, but not showing proper graphics. I can't see photos in the photo viewer for example, but it opens and displays the correct file path.
What's going on here?

Reaction score
My Windows 10 install came with all the latest drivers (bragging) but you could download the free Intel driver package which includes a driver checker. It is a simple download and can resolve graphics issues. It looks to me like that is your problem.
I believe this is the download to which I refer (from Intel). It is called the Intel Driver Update Utility.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Of course, sou have the Nvidia graphics card so its drivers/update utility would be found here;

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ran the Intel checker. Needed nothing according to it. GPU drivers are the latest. Updated BIOS last night. I should be ship-shape. Off course, this just means I've missed something.

Ask a Question