Windows 10 - HELPFUL TIPS

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am currently having issues with my 2011 HP Pavilion Elite HPC desktop PC, Windows 10 Home upgraded.

Last week, I did a "Reset this PC" with the "Just remove my files" option, and I waited for about an hour for it to be completed entirely.

My desktop PC was working fine up until early Tuesday afternoon.

When I turned my desktop PC on for the first time last Tuesday, I used my "password" to sign in to my account.

Afterwards, my PC logged me in, however, instead of "Welcome" showing on my screen, I saw the words "Preparing Windows."

I thought that was strange, because usually after I log in my to account, I see "Welcome" then the next screen I saw on my monitor was the desktop with the task at at the bottom of itself.

Additionally, I noticed that after I waited for about 2 minutes for my desktop PC to finish loading itself that all of my documents and pictures/photos were deleted, as well as my two Internet browsers, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome.

Furthermore, I turned off my desktop PC later that same evening using the "power" button located on the top of my CPU when it wasn't necessary.

Next, I turned on my cable TV receiver (a.k.a "set-top box) which is connected to my monitor and my desktop PC and I watched television for a few hours.

Then, I turned my cable TV receiver off, then I turned my desktop PC on again.

I waited for the "HP" startup screen to appear on my monitor.

All of a sudden, the infamous "Blue Screen of Death" appeared on my monitor screen, with the words: ":( Your PC did not restart correctly. We will fix this for you. Please do not power off or unplug your computer."

After I saw those words on my monitor screen, I watched my CPU reboot itself then I saw the words: "Diagnosing Your PC" followed by: "Prepairing and checking for disk errors. This may take over an hour."

When I read those statements, I became impatient then I turned off my desktop PC via the "power" button located on the top of my CPU.

I turned on my desktop PC again, and I came across the same two statements that I posted in the paragraph above this one, then I became impatient and I turned off my desktop PC again - I did this three time yesterday afternoon.

Next, I unplugged my CPU from the surge protector that the CPU "power" cord was in, which was connected to an outlet in the wall located behind my desktop PC.

I waited for about 2 minutes, then I plugged the CPU "power" cord back into the aforementioned locations.

This time, I came across a different screen, which read the following text: "Your PC did not restart correctly. You can press "Restart" which can sometimes the problem or you can choose another method from the "Advanced Options" menu.

I clicked on "Advanced Options", then I selected "Reset this PC", followed by "Just keep my files", then I selected "OK."

After that, I crossed my fingers and hoped that my desktop PC would be able to "reset" itself, my CPU came to about 14% in the "Resetting this PC" screen, then all of a sudden my CPU stopped "resetting" itself.

Then, I saw the following text behind a blue background on my monitor, which read: "Your PC could not reset icorrectly. Press "Restart" or "Shut down."

I selected "Restart" then I came across the "Your PC did not restart correctly. Press "Restart" to restart you PC again, which can sometimes fix the problem or choose another method from the "Advanced Options" menu.

I chose "Advanced Options", followed by "Reset this PC", then I was a little hesitant and I selected the "Remove my files" option, then I selected "OK" from the next screen.

After that I placed the "Windows 7 Recovery" disk that I burned to a CD (via backup) into my CPU "multimedia optical drive."

Next, I turned off my desktop PC with the aforementioned CD in the CPU via the "power" button.

Then, I turned my CPU on again and as soon as it turned on, I continuously pressed the "F11" key on my keyboard hoping that my monitor and CPU would redirect me to the "Windows 7 Recovery Options Menu" or a "Windows 7" recovery disk-like screen and that I would be able to fix my desktop PC that way, however it did not work.

Next, the infamous "An operating system was not found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart."

I did that several times with the "Windows 7 Repair Disk" in my CPU "multimedia optical drive" and the same dreaded error message came on my monitor continuously.

Additionally, I used to have a "Microsoft Windoes 10 Backup CD" that I created myself.

I moved to a new apartment recently, and now I am starting to think that when I threw away my small broken dresser, I might have accidentally thrown my "Microsoft Windows 10 Backup CD" without realizing it until I started having my PC issues.

I did a foolish thing last year and I when chose the "Reset this PC" option, followed by selecting "Remove my files."

Then, after I put my "Microsoft Windows Windows 7 System Repair CD" into my CPU "multimedia optical drive", I turned off my CPU with the aforementioned "CD" in the same location via the "power" button located on top of the top of my CPU.

Next, I turned my CPU on again with the previously mentioned "CD" in itself, then I pressed "F11" repeatedly using my wireless keyboard and that did not work.

Therefore, I waited a few days and I grabbed my original "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Installation CD" which I received after I took my CPU to "BEST BUY" "Geek Squad" to get itself repaired.

Next, I turned on my CPU and I placed the "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Installation CD" into my CPU "multimedia optical drive" (the other "Windows 10" CD was taken out of my CPU a few days earlier).

Then, I turned off my CPU with the "Windows 7 Installation CD" in itself.

After that, I turned my CPU on again, as well as my monitor and I continuously pressed the "F11" key hoping that the "HP Recovery Options Menu" would show on my screen and it did! :)

Next, I waited for my CPU to re-install "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium" on itself with the "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premiun Installation CD" inside of the "multimedia optical drive" and my CPU miraculously re-installed "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium" on itself successfully. :)

After I set up my CPU using the "Welcome to HP" menu, immediately afterwards I decided to create a "recovery" CD of Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium" in case my CPU ever had problems like this again (like last Tuesday).

I successfully created my "Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Recovery CD."

Then, after that I went to the CNET Download Center, and I downloaded the Microsoft Windows 10 .ISO image file upgrade.

After I downloaded the "Microsoft Windows .ISO image file upgrade" to my recovered CPU.

I decided to create a "backup" of my newly upgraded "Microsoft Windows 10 Home" CPU after I "downloaded" the "Microsoft Windows .ISO image file upgrade" and let it completely install itself after about three hours and 15 minutes afterwards approximately in case I ever mess up my CPU like that again.

So, there are several reasons why, I posted this LONG informative essay, here in the "Windows 10 Support" forum, a few of them are as follows:

a.) To ask if there are any additional options I can try to fix my CPU and get it back into its usable shape.

and also

b.) To inform other "Microsoft Windows 10 Home" and "Microsoft Windows 10 Pro" current users of all of the mistakes I have made with "Windows 10" upgraded/installed on my CPU, and to prevent them from having to deal with the same issues I have dealt within the last half-a-year.

So, if you are a "newbie" or a "rookie" of using "Microsoft Windows 10 Home" and/or "Microsoft Windows 10 Pro" here are some helpful tips to prevent you guys and gals from dealing with the same issues I have came across:

a.) NEVER EVER turn off your CPU using the "power" button located on the top of the top of your CPU unless it is absolutely necessary. The only time it is absolutely necessary, is if your CPU/monitor crashed or starts glitching or freezing when you are doing a task on it, such as: playing a video game, Facebook/Twitter/YouTube, using Microsoft Office applications, downloading pictures/videos onto your CPU via one of your mobile device(s).

b.) "Defragment" your CPU regularly, by using the "Disk Fragmenter."

c.) Create several backup CDs of your files, documents, pictures/photos, videos, saved video games regularly.

d.) Let your desktop PC, notebook and/or tablet install updates whenever your device says one is available.

e.) Make sure you have valid and active anti-virus/malware/spyware software installed on your device. The best option is KASPERSKY Anti-Virus Software.

f.) Make sure you have "AdBlock" and "AdBlocker Plus" installed into your Mozilla Firefox and/or Google Chrome Internet browsers. DON'T EVER USE "Microsoft Edge", because "Microsoft Edge" sucks.

g.) Routinely, check and see how much disk space is currently available on your device. The easiest way to do this is:

1.) Place your cursor into the search box, located at the bottom left-hand corner of your desktop.

2.) Type in, "This PC"

3.) Click on "This PC"

4.) Then, right-click on "Local Disk C."

5.) You should see a pink and blue-colored pie graph. Pink represents how much "used disk space" you currently have on your device. Blue represents how much "free disk space" you currently have on your device.

6.) If the pie graph claims that you only have 20 bytes or less of "free disk space" currently available on your device, then I suggest you recycle, permanently delete and uninstall some programs that you have recently installed on your device.

7.) If you ever come across the message: ":( Your PC did not restart correctly. We will fix this problem for you. Please do not power off or unplug your computer." Do what that message says, if you disobey that message and turn off your device using either the CPU "power" button or disconnecting the power cord from the back of your device or the outlet you will be screwed over.

8.) If you see a message on your screen which reads: "Diagnosing Your PC", followed by "Checking and repairing disk errors. This may take over an hour to complete." DO NOT touch any part of your device AT ALL until your device shows a message on your screen that indicates that the checking and repairing disk errors process is 100% completed/finished.

9.) If you ever decide to "Reset this PC" make sure that you only select the "Just keep my files" option, because if you select "Remove everything" all of your drives will be completely erased, a.k.a. "wiping out your hard drive", then you will not be able to successfully log back into your account and use your device.

10.) If you "accidentally" choose to select the "Remove everything" option from the Windows 10 "Advanced Options" recovery screen make sure that you have the original installation CD, as well as all of your backup and recovery CDs with you, so that you can restore your device back into its previous shape before you chose "Remove everything" from the Windows 10 "Advanced Options" recovery screen.

11.) Finally, this should be a common sense no-brainer, NEVER EVER hit, slap, smack, kick, punch, backhand or destroy your PC/notebook, because doing any of those foolish things can and will destroy your computer and render it useless.

12,) Finally, hurting your computer won't fix it, it will just make your computer problems/issues and make it malfunction and cause it to stop working.

13.) Treat your computer like a human, like it's your child and be nice to it.

14.) If you hurt your computer, think of it as a human and realize (think) that if you hurt it, you will hurt its feelings and make it sad and make it cry and say: "Why is being mean to me? What did I ever do to you. I'm just trying to be a helpful friend, machine." *sobs*

I hope all of the information that I have given in this LONG informative essay, will help millions of current Windows 10 users all around the world.

Good luck and enjoy Windows 10! :)

Ask a Question