Windows 10 Home Version 1607 OS Build 14393.1593- HELP

Reaction score
I have tried the media creation tool - no success

I have tried the Windows 10 Update assistant - it tells me the latest version is 15063 and I currently have 14393
I did actually get to 99% and it froze.

I have a Windows 10 Upgrade (not update) file in my 'C' drive with 31 items and the size of the file is 1.38gb, so whether it is partially installed or completely installed, I know not.

I tried the wu17059 diagcab tool - says it's all fixed but STILL - no success
I now have no update history in settings and I can only access my updates through the Control Panel Programs/View installed updates

I have applied a clean boot and disabled EVERYTHING in start-up

My Windows Update in services will NOT stay RUNNING - keeps changing to stopped
My Windows Error Reporting Service in services will NOT stay RUNNING - keeps changing to stopped (not too fussed about this one as I do not think it is as important as my update)

Am I correct in thinking I need this 1607. OS Build 15063 before I can get the 1703 update?

I am a user rather than an administrator but I have self learnt a few admin duties on my journey. LOL

I would be exceedingly grateful if some kind soul could suggest a way forward for me as I have been playing with this for 3 weeks now and I am becoming follically impaired. LOL

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
My suggestion would be to download the latest ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Save the ISO to a folder on your computer.
Once it is downloaded, simply double click it to mount it and then run Setup.exe from the virtual drive that is created by mounting the ISO and perform the in-place upgrade using that method.
This method requires nothing but a keyboard, mouse and monitor.
NO peripherals attached..... no wireless dongles, no USB devices including printers.
IF you are running any third party security suites, uninstall them.
Disconnect the Ethernet cable if applicable, turn off your wireless adapter if applicable.

Answer the preliminary screens in the affirmative (accept, install, next, upgrade and keep everything, etc.,) then just go shopping and leave it alone. Depending on your machine's horsepower it can take quite a while and may appear to hang..... just leave it alone.

OF COURSE...... backup your critical data and create a disk image of your hard drive before proceeding.

Reaction score
2017-08-28_183822.jpg

Am I correct in thinking I need this 1607. OS Build 15063 before I can get the 1703 update?
No, you are not correct. Version 1703 is also referred to as Build 15063.

Ask a Question