Windows 10 Insists It's Offline

Reaction score
Hello all!

My Windows 10 Home (Build 17046) insists it's offline, even though there's a working wi-fi internet connection.

Specifically, I cannot log on remotely, only to my local account. This means I am not receiving Windows updates either; even if I try to search for the latest W10 update, my PC says it's up to date. Which it isn't.

Cortana says I need to log in again, but when I try to, it says there's no internet connection.

Most Windows services which require an internet connection seem to think the machine is offline.

Interestingly, when I run the Network troubleshooter, I get the error that "the remote device or resource won't accept the connection". However, Edge works fine, as do Chrome and IE. There is no proxy set in the connection options, and the internet appears to be working normally.

I have tried resetting the network, and I've reinstalled the network drivers.

This problem started with one of the Windows updates towards the end of last year - it may well have been the fall Creator's Update. I do not want to refresh the machine and lose all the configuration of my programs.

I have researched this problem, and it seems many people have experienced it, but none of the suggested fixes have worked for me. I have tried several of the Windows Diagnostics tools but no luck.

I'd be very grateful if anybody could suggest what I could try next, as I have run out of ideas.

My machine is a Lenovo Intel i7 PC, with 8GB of RAM. It's 15 months old.

Many thanks!

Andy

Last edited:
Reaction score
UPDATE: expanding the error found by the Network troubleshooter reveals this:

"The device or resource (www.microsoft.com) is not set up to accept connections on port "The World Wide Web service (HTTP)"."

Now why on earth would my machine think that Microsoft is not accepting HTTP connections???

Reaction score
I would also like to know what would cause this behavior as my system just started doing this yesterday.

Reaction score
I would also like to know what would cause this behavior as my system just started doing this yesterday.
Hi saintbump, I never did solve that. I had to do a fresh installation of Windows, after which the problem disappeared. Good luck solving it and if you find a solution, please let me know in case it ever happens to me again. All the best.

Ask a Question