SOLVED Windows 10 ISO download problem

Reaction score
I upgraded my Toshiba laptop to Windows 10 Pro the other day successfully. Because I have been having problems with this Windows 10 upgrade not installing on my ASUS Windows Home 8.1 desktop I decided to download the ISO for it on the laptop. It has taken several hours and now when I go back to see if it has finished the laptop has closed down and I can't boot it up.

As I have just upgraded the laptop I hadn't got around to making a boot up USB for it yet. When I press the power button one light flashes five times then stops.

I thought it would be simple just to download the ISO and then burn it to disc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When I press the power button one light flashes five times then stops.
Sounds like the computer is trapped in some energy saving mode, (hibernate, sleep, hybrid sleep, etc.,)
You may have to hold the power button a little longer to get it to resume.

Reaction score
Thanks, yes I think you are probably right, but I have tried that and still no go.

I also now realise that I had a DVD in the drive at the time but had not pushed it right in, so maybe that was the problem.

Is there any other way to start it up from sleep or whatever?

Reaction score
I reset the Power and Sleep options in mine to Never. Before I reset them I had to sit and watch for the sleep cues then move the mouse to stop the sleep. I burnt an ISO disk from the automatic options on (I'll give the Australian page) https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10. I tried the update option and it was eternally buggy so chose to burn a disc since Murphy's law was in effect with the simple upgrade. I did elect to format the Windows system portion of my hard drive.The ISO 64 bit went so perfect first time to the point I was waiting for smoke and fire but all went very well. Microsoft did a fine job imho as the tool worked flawlessly and even I miraculously could follow the directions. Mine was the US version not that I know if it makes any difference.

Reaction score
I suppose a couple of observations. First, when you upgrade a system you need to give it time to complete the necessary updates. There have been at least two fairly large updates which might have been in the process of installing.

Secondly, when you upgrade an older system, there may be situations regarding devices installed on the system and amount of free space on the drive even though this is not normally a problem on a desktop. Downloading the .iso so you can install directly is a good move assuming that is actually what you did with the Toshiba. You may just need to give it some time to finish whatever it is doing.

In addition to previous suggestions, if the system is still in some type of sleep or hibernation mode you may want to power it down and let it reboot from a cold situation. Even removing the power supply and battery might make a difference when you turn it back on. I don't know what 5 light flashes mean so perhaps your user manual may mention that.

Ask a Question