SOLVED Windows 10 - None of the new apps incl. Settings open. Why and how to resolve?

Reaction score
Brief update on the problem.

Settings doesn't open (after upgrading from Win 7 Home Premium x64). Can't open Edge, Cortana or any other Windows 10 Apps ( Explorer.exe - Element Not Found error upon clicking). Cortana asks to open Settings in order to set it up, but can't open Settings.
I downloaded the fix package everyone on the Internet is pointing to (CSSEmerg67758 and the AppsDiagnostic files), BUT even that doesn't open. It is unresponsive when I open it, just like how the Settings app is unresponsive.
Please help me understand how to solve it now that the package is not runnable. What does that mean? What is the root cause of this?

I have the same problem by directly upgrading, OR by burning a Win 10 DVD and installing from scratch. Initially it worked fine (after new install), but after I installed some apps like Adobe Pro and Winamp, the problem started. So, I restored by computer back to an earlier point in time when the Settings app was working. However, even after the restore, the Settings and other apps did not open. I moved to a local admin user with the password, rather than the Microsoft account and still no change.
Now, I can't even add a user as it doesn't open. If I click on Add a New User in PC Settings, it gives a Explorer.exe - Element Not Found error !!

Does this help troubleshooting the issue? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Solved it by restarting Explorer.exe. I don't know if this will recur every time. Still can't identify the cause!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Solved it by restarting Explorer.exe
Excellent.
Great to hear that you were able to resolve your problem.
thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
I for one will seriously remember that bit of information.
I was under the impression that most of the new interface was managed by the new Windows Shell Experience Host (ShellExperienceHost.exe)
Good to know the explorer.exe is still involved.

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it resolved. I still manually restart explorer.exe every time after Windows boots.

Reaction score
I have the same problem. But I don't know how to manually restart explore.exe. Could you please give me directions on how to do it? Thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
But I don't know how to manually restart explore.exe. Could you please give me directions on how to do it?
If a taskbar is present you can right click the taskbar and choose Task Manager, if not you can use Ctrl + Alt + Delete and choose Task Manager.
In taskmanager go to file on the menu bar and click run new task
type
explorer.exe
and hit enter.
If you can produce the Run dialog box by using the Windows Logo Key + R
You can do the same thing from there, simply type
explorer.exe and click OK or hit enter.

Reaction score
If a taskbar is present you can right click the taskbar and choose Task Manager, if not you can use Ctrl + Alt + Delete and choose Task Manager.
In taskmanager go to file on the menu bar and click run new task
type
explorer.exe
and hit enter.
If you can produce the Run dialog box by using the Windows Logo Key + R
You can do the same thing from there, simply type
explorer.exe and click OK or hit enter.

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, it did not work for me. I still get the Explorer.exe - Element Not Found error.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, it did not work for me. I still get the Explorer.exe - Element Not Found error.
That doesn't sound good.
Have your tried, if possible, to run the native System File Checker?
Admin Command prompt and type
sfc /scannow.
Perhaps it will help.

Reaction score
Thanks. I guess I just don't know enough. I tried searching for Admin Command prompt, and only various suggestions for searching the web came up and when clicked on nothing happened. I was able to get a command prompt but when I tried entering sfc/scannow it said I needed be the administator. But I don't know how to change to admin. I am the only user on my laptop.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the Windows Logo on the bottom left of your screen to produce the so called "Power Users Menu" or hold the windows logo key on your keyboard and strike the x key..... same thing.
Select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu list.

Reaction score
That doesn't sound good.
Have your tried, if possible, to run the native System File Checker?
Admin Command prompt and type
sfc /scannow.
Perhaps it will help.
I found out how to run the Admin Command prompt, in the Setting won't open thread. Ran the scan but it "did not find any integrity violations"

Reaction score
Ok, I couldn't get Edge to start or Windows Update to work on my HP Laptop. I got the "Element Not Found" error.
Mozilla Thunderbird worked fine, so I knew my Internet connections were OK.
I decided to try switching to the Firefox browser. I installed it and it worked.

The Next day I clicked on Edge out of habit and it now worked - and Windows Update now works.
"Settings" wouldn't open - Now it does.
Apparently, Firefox installed or changed whatever was needed to get the other stuff working.
If you've tried everything else without success, it's worth a try.

Boydbob

Reaction score
*sarcastic question*....So this is the most wonderful, infallible windows 10 operating system that microsoft put so much faith in that they made it a mandatory upgrade?? LOL i should have guessed. They said the same thing about Vista for God's sakes. Pardon my rant, but ever since i was forcibly upgraded ive had nothing but errors in Win10. It even overwrote my recovery partition without telling me... That's it, Microsoft has GOT to go!

Ask a Question