Windows 10 - Sign in with a Microsoft account instead

Reaction score
I have tried to sign in with a Microsoft Account on by Windows account - When I do then it asks for my password on by Windows account. When I enter it I get the message "Oops something went wrong. Whatever happened, it was probably our fault. Please try again."

Reaction score
I am not clear on exactly what you are trying to do. Are you running a Local account and trying to sign into your Microsoft User account?

If you check the Settings-accounts or wherever the User info is, the top of the window should tell you if you are in a local or Microsoft account.

Reaction score
I am not clear on exactly what you are trying to do. Are you running a Local account and trying to sign into your Microsoft User account?

If you check the Settings-accounts or wherever the User info is, the top of the window should tell you if you are in a local or Microsoft account.[/QUOTE
My wife has a local account and is trying to change to sign in with her Microsoft Account. When she tries to do that she gets the above message.
I am signed in as administrator with my Microsoft Address but by Windows password is different from my Microsoft Account password. When I have tried to change it, it doesn't work. And now on by Windows account the desktop comes up when I sign in and my Start menu doesn't work. In order to get to my wife's account, I have to shut the computer down and start up again. Then everything works on by wife's account but she can't change it to a Microsoft Account because she gets the above message.

Reaction score
On your system, can you log out instead of shutting your system down to change accounts?

As far as your wife's system, in one of the earlier builds, if you signed out of a Microsoft account and into a Local account, it would not let you sign back into a Microsoft account. It showed you in a Local account but would give some message and ask you to use a different user. This latest build may have brought that problem back.

The fact both of you seem to be having some type of password problem might mean there was some type of overlap in your two Microsoft accounts. Can you both you and your wife sign into your Microsoft's account online, such as your OneDrive Account.

Reaction score
We can both sign into our Outlook.com account on line and get our email. At this point neither of us have a OneDrive Account.
My wife can log out of her account instead of shutting our system down to change accounts.
When we sign in to my account (I'm administrator) the desktop comes up and the Start does not work. On my account I can not log out instead of shutting down to change accounts

Ask a Question