Windows 10 Start Menu Not Working

Reaction score
Every time I click the start menu a message it appears: "Critical Error: Your Start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in"

Reaction score
Welcome to the club, Nduw. So many people are having this problem that there is more than one cause, and more than one solution. I gathered all the solutions into one post:

Folks, so many people are having trouble with the Start Button not working in Windows 10, that I have assembled all the various cures. None of them will work every time, but there’s a good chance that one of them will.

1) Go to this web page http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532 to learn how to use PowerShell (a built-in Windows utility that you already have) to fix it. His first two ideas are pretty good. Don’t do his more drastic solutions, though, until you try these other ones.

2) Uninstall your anti-virus program and re-install it.

3) Simply use the Windows key (between the Ctrl and Alt keys) instead

4) Type “Classic Shell” into a search engine and install it. It is a free Start Button that works great.

5) Use System Restore

On its official site, Microsoft recommends:

Method 1:
1 Open run command. (Windows logo + r)
2. type regedit and press enter.
3. click ok when notification window prompt.
4. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Explorer>Advance
5. Create a Dword with name ‘EnableXamlStartMenu’.
6. Give it value 0
7. Log off and login again.

If it still doesn't work try these methods.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to try ‘sfc scan’ if you haven’t tried it yet.

Let’s use the System File Checker (SFC) tool to see if it can find any missing or corrupted system files. If so, it will attempt to repair and/or replace them. Follow these steps:

1. Press Windows +x

2. Select command prompt admin.

3. At the command prompt type “sfc /scannow” (no quotes), and then press ENTER

Method 3:

1. Press Windows + x

3. Type dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4. Reboot PC.

Reaction score
Jim, try this:

Folks, so many people are having trouble with the Start Button not working in Windows 10, that I have assembled all the various cures. None of them will work every time, but there’s a good chance that one of them will.

1) Go to this web page http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532 to learn how to use PowerShell (a built-in Windows utility that you already have) to fix it. His first two ideas are pretty good. Don’t do his more drastic solutions, though, until you try these other ones.

2) Uninstall your anti-virus program and re-install it.

3) Simply use the Windows key (between the Ctrl and Alt keys) instead

4) Type “Classic Shell” into a search engine and install it. It is a free Start Button that works great.

5) Use System Restore

On its official site, Microsoft recommends:

Method 1:
1 Open run command. (Windows logo + r)
2. type regedit and press enter.
3. click ok when notification window prompt.
4. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Explorer>Advance
5. Create a Dword with name ‘EnableXamlStartMenu’.
6. Give it value 0
7. Log off and login again.

If it still doesn't work try these methods.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to try ‘sfc scan’ if you haven’t tried it yet.

Let’s use the System File Checker (SFC) tool to see if it can find any missing or corrupted system files. If so, it will attempt to repair and/or replace them. Follow these steps:

1. Press Windows +x

3. At the command prompt type “sfc /scannow” (no quotes), and then press ENTER

Method 3:

1. Press Windows + x

3. Type dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4. Reboot PC.

MS Troubleshoot also has recommendations at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Reaction score
As was mentioned, I don't know exactly what causes the problem or how many things can cause the problem.

But there are two services which start up when you open the start menu. If you could open Task Manger and go to the Details tab, the two services are listed close together so you can watch them. Prior to opening the Start menu they may show as suspended but should start as soon as you select the Start button. Let us know if they are present and do or do not start up.

SearchUI.exe
ShellExperienceHost.exe

Reaction score
Msft has a new update that just might fix the Start Menu problem and other issues. It's KB3152599. Read down my post a bit and you'll see what Msft says about the update as well as some of the steps I've taken that have gotten me about 2/3 of the way back.

I'm one of the hundreds or thousands of users that lost the Windows Start Menu, Access to the Start Page, Broken taskbar items, context menu sporadically working. And when it worked, it was terribly slow. I had the problems on my laptop and my desktop.

I've tried several repairs (probably a dozen or so) including doing a 'repair/Update' using the Windows Media Creation tool to do an upgrade with Windows running. I also tried the same process by mounting an ISO file. Nothing worked. At least I'm at the current build now:10586.318
So when I saw KB3152599 Msft update info stated Preinstalled system applications and Start menu may not work when you upgrade to Windows 10 Version 1511.

I was so excited that they had an update to repair the Start Menu. It's about time they came up with a fix for the Start Menu problem. 1511 was released a very long time ago. Sadly, the update didn't change a thing for me.
I installed the update on 5-14-16, about 2 hours after my second Update/Repair.

I discovered Msft had a Troubleshooter tool now. I ran it and found that my Tiles were corrupt and some preinstalled apps weren't installed correctly. Troubleshooter was able to repair my corrupt Tiles issue, but it couldn't help on the bad preinstalled apps and had no suggestions.

Hooray! I have a Start Menu now but can't access the Start Page - either with the Start Button or the Windows Logo key.

I realized that I installed that update Before running the troubleshooter and getting my corrupt tiles repaired. I think there's a good chance that's why the update didn't help.

I want to uninstall the update and reinstall it now with good Tiles. Problem - I went to uninstall KB3152599 and it's not listed in the Programs - Features updates. It's listed in my Settings, Update History.

I've never needed or wanted to uninstall an update so I'm unsure of a couple of things. If somebody can tell me where Windows 10 Pro updates are stored, if I delete KB3152599, will it be considered uninstalled? I have a download of the update so hopefully Windows will let me run the update (again).
Sooo sorry this is long, but I had to tell you guys all that was involved.

Any Gurus out there know:
#1. Where are the updates stored on Win 10 Pro?
#2. Will deleting the update 'uninstall' it?

I appreciate any help. I want my Start Screen back.

Thanks,

Ask a Question