Windows 10, can't start programs from start menu

Reaction score
Hello, I am having problem with my start menu. If i press the windows button the menu comes up, but I is empty, all I can do is shut down or restart. If I search for a program or app, it comes up, but I when I hit enter or click on it it does not open. What can I do to fix this?

thanks

Reaction score
Type "Start Menu in the search box click on "Start Settings at the top of menu list, select what you want to display in the start menu.

Reaction score
I should type "start menu" in the start menu search?
Even so I can't start programs from the start menu.

Reaction score
If you click on start do you see the settings (cog wheel) second from the bottom left.
If so, click on settings > Personalization > Start.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you provide some specifics....
Are you talking about Tiles in the Start Menu Screen (Universal apps or tiles that you've added)
OR
Are you talking about other application, like Win32 application software like Office, or something else you've installed.
Try going here
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
See what programs are listed and if you can launch them from there.

IF you right click the Start Button and choose "Run" from the context menu and in the run dialog box type something like
Notepad
and hit enter or Click OK
Does that launch an instance of Notepad?

Reaction score
The only thing I can open from the start menu are folders, but if I for example search for Settings or Android studio, I can't open them from start.
If I go to the path you suggested I get all the program I should have in the start menu and I can launch them.
And yes I use Run to start things.

Ask a Question